Political Conditions in Algeria
- Type of State
- Republic, parliamentary democracy combined with presidential power.
- Executive Power
- The President of the Republic is the Head of State. He is elected by direct universal suffrage for 5 years. He appoints the Prime Minister and his government at the suggestion of the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister sets the amount of the State's expenses and revenue, and prepares some Bills.
- Legislative Power
- Parliament is composed of the Council of the Nation and the National Popular Assembly. Senators are elected by indirect universal suffrage for 6 years (renewable every 3 years). Deputies (MPs) are elected by direct universal suffrage. They examine successively Bills and private Bills, vote laws and monitor the government.
- Main Political Parties
- The main political parties in the country are: the FLN (National Liberation Front) which was previously the only legal party in the country, the RND (National Democratic Group), the FFS (Socialist Forces Front), the RCD (Culture and Democracy Group), the MRN (National Reform Movement) which is an Islamic party and the PT (Workers' Party). A law prohibiting political parties based on religion was promulgated in March 1997.
- Current Political Leaders
President : Abdelaziz Bouteflika (since April 1999, re-elected in April 2004 and April 2009) – Independent
Prime Minister: Ahmed OUYAHIA (since June 2008)
- Next Election Dates
- National Popular Assembly: May 2012
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 20 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Not Free
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Algeria!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: