Investment Opportunities in Argentina
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Argentina
Argentina has signed bilateral agreements on investments with 60 countries.
To see the list of countries, click here.
To see the conventions, click here.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
Dispute between Argentina and Uruguay over the installation of two pulp mills on the bank of the Uruguay River.
Dispute between Suez company and the city of Buenos Aires over the distribution and the treatment of drinking water.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICCWBO , International Chamber of Commerce
CAC , Argentine Chamber of Commerce
ICSID , International Center for settlement of Investment Disputes
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- Yes, since 1992.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Argentina||Latin America & Caribbean||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||6.0||4.1||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||2.0||5.3||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||6.0||6.0||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||4.7||5.1||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
All sectors of the economy are open to foreign investors, on an equal footing with national investors.
The investment regime is a liberal regime. Foreign investment is not subject to any authorization or declaration, whatever the amount or the activity envisaged, and even if this means taking a majority share in the capital of a local company.
- Obligation to Declare
- In principle, no declaration.
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- There is no declaration, in principle, except for large projects which require the agreement of the competent ministry. For example: the TGV (high speed train) with the Ministry of Infrastructure.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
- There are several possible temporary solutions: domiciliation of the company at the private address of the director, and domiciliation in a business center.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
It is possible to buy freehold, to build industrial and commercial premises or to buy through a real estate company.
- Risk of Expropriation
- Foreign investors are entitled to compensation if they are victims of expropriation.
- Forms of Aid
The industrial promotion program is determined by Decree n° 2054/92, in force since 1 February 1992. It is the Under-Secretary for Investment's office, a division of the Secretariat for Commerce and Investment, which is in charge of deciding which sectors and regions to promote and the advantages foreign investors may lay claim to. The mechanism of aid to investment has been revised.
In principle, aid no longer takes the form of tax exemptions or reductions, but tax credits, covering the theoretical fiscal cost of the project, which is calculated according to the level of development of the area of activity being encouraged.
Other forms of aid to investment have been developed: tax exemptions, special import regimes, accelerated depreciation for machines, equipment and infrastructure work.
- Privileged Domains
- Public infrastructures, biofuels, hydrocarbons, software industry, mining sector, export of IT services, etc.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- Province of San Luis, Ushuaïa, Catamarca, La Rioja, San Juan, Tierra del Fuego, the Antarctic and the islands of the South Atlantic.
- Free Zones
- Map of all the free zones
- Organizations Which Finance
Bank of investment and foreign trade (BICE)
Federal Investment Council (CFI)
Integral Regional Development Fund (FONDER)
Argentine Technological Fund (FONTAR)
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Automobile, agrifood, raw materials.
- High Potential Sectors
- Automobile, agrifood, raw materials, call centers.
- Privatization Programs
- The water sector in some towns.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Globaltenders, Tenders & Projects from Argentina
Tenders Info, Tenders in Argentina
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
Steel, concrete (hidden monopolies). For example, for concrete, two families have divided the country in two. There is no direct monopoly but it is impossible to break into the market. For steel, there is one producer who provides a living for his competitors. When a customer is no longer of interest to him, he leaves him to the others.
There are no longer any public monopolies.
- Sectors in Decline
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Fundacion Invertir Argentina
- Other Useful Resources
Centro de Economia Internacional
- Doing Business Guides
The Lexmundi guide «Doing Business» on Argentina
Argentina Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
The Deloitte "International Tax and Business Guide" on Argentina
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Argentina!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: