Dining in Australia
- Categories of Restaurant
- Food court
- “Take away”: to take out or eat on the spot. Cheap (10-20 AUD) and including multicultural restaurants (Indian, Thai, Lebanese, Chinese…)
- Traditional Pub lunches, English or Irish style.
- Classic, generally good quality, resembling European restaurants. Modern Australian cuisine and restaurants of all cultures.
- Rules For Eating Out
- The prices displayed in restaurants and cafés are shown with taxes and service included. A tip is not compulsory, but people often leave change on the table after paying the bill (about 5% of the bill).
|Economy Meal||20 AUD|
|Medium Price Meal||20-50 AUD|
|Good Quality Meal||+ than 50 AUD|
- Food Specialties
Australian cuisine, which still had a bad reputation 30 years ago, has been enriched by contributions from the Mediterranean, the Middle East and Asia. Melbourne for example is a Mecca for worldwide gastronomy. "Contemporary Australian cuisine" is rich in sea foods: barramundi, crayfish, etc. Vegemite is a pure product of local culture.
We can mention:
- Australian Cheesecake.
- Australian Dinkum Chili: Australian chilli with bacon, beef and pork, seasoned with cumin, garlic, chilli powder and onions.
- Chicken with basil sauce.
- Curried Mussels with Mushrooms.
- Kangaroo Escalopes with Spinach and Anchovy Butter.
- Octopus Salad.
- Anzac Biscuits.
- Strawberry Meringue Pudding.
- Today wine is almost as popular as beer, the national drink. Aperitifs and liqueurs are less common. On the other hand, alcopops (alcoholic drinks mixed with fruit juice or cola) are very popular with young adults.
- Dietary Restrictions
- Dietary restrictions are almost inexistent but may vary, in this multicultural country, according to religion.
- Table Manners
- Table manners are continental. Before starting, you say "Enjoy your meal". If you are invited to eat with an Australian family, the meal will be very relaxed.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Dining in Australia!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: