Business Travel in Austria
- Passport and Visa Service
Visa information of the Austrian Foreign Ministry
- Diplomatic Representations
Austrian Embassies, high commissions, consulates, multilateral missions and representative offices abroad
Organizing Your Trip
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
Vienna has a well-developed system of metro, bus, light railand tramwayservices. Most routes have a flat fare, and there are pre-purchase multi-journey tickets and passes. The Vienna Card entitles visitors to 72 hours of unlimited travel by subway, bus and tram within four days. The classic way to travel round the capital is by horse-drawn carriage(Fiaker); fares should be agreed in advance.
There are bus systems in all the other main towns, and also tramways in Linz, Innsbruck and Graz, and trolleybuses in Linz, Innsbruck and Salzburg.Visit : Vienna Metro
- Maps of Urban Networks
UT Library on line
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Vienna (VIE)||17km / 11 miles||EUR 30-35||EUR 6 / 20 min||EUR 5.10 / 30 min||Available|
|Innsbruck (INN)||4 km / 2½ miles||EUR 11 / 10-15 min||EUR 1.5 / 18 min||-||Available|
|Salzburg (SZG)||5 km / 3 miles||EUR 14 / 10-20 min||EUR 1.8 / 20-25 min||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- Rail network in Austria is among the best in the world. Traveling by train is fast and convenient but a little expensive than bus travel. The roads are of international standard and traveling by car is an efficient way. Domestic flights are not a common means of travel for the tourist. Buses are the best connector to all the cities in Austria. They are cheaper and slower than the trains.
- Rail Companies
Austrian Federal Railways
Koflacher Train and Bus Company
Austrian passenger transport railway company
Austrian Transport Services Company
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- Austria has an excellent network of roads and self driving is safe.
- Cars must be driven with lights throughout the year. Seat belts must be worn and children under the age of 12 and under 150cm (4ft 11in) tall may not sit in the front seat unless a special child's seat has been fitted.
- All cars must have a first-aid kit and a warning triangle. All motorists must also carry high-visibility waistcoats and wear them whenever outside their vehicle on an Austrian roads.
- Both driver and passenger on a motorcycle must wear helmets.
- All road signs are in German language.
- It is compulsory to stick a road tax disc on the windscreen that you can buy at the border in order to be able to drive on highways.
- Road Maps
Live Search of Maps
- Find an Itinerary
Different Forms of Tourism
The city of Vienna has more than 50 museums, including Natural History Museum, Museum of Modern Art and Museumsquartier.
The medieval city Retz has subterranean wine-cellars, well-restored medieval city walls, windmills and a Dominican church.
- Vienna and its Operas.
- The city of Salzburgis famous for its festival and as a place where numerous artists and writers lived.
- The numerous ski resorts in the Austrian Alps. - Wachau cultural landscape.
- Semmering railway.
- Wachau cultural landscape.
For further information visit Austria info
City of Graz, Ferto/Neusiedler Lake area, Hallstatt Dachstein, Salzburg.
Austria has some of the best crystal-clear lakes in the world which include Wörthersee, Wolfgangsee, Traunsee, Hallstättersee and Mondsee, one of the warmest lakes in the Salzkammergut.
Carinthia's lakes reach temperatures of around 28°C (82°F) and win awards for their water quality.
Visit this link.
Annakirche (Church of Saint Anne), St Augustine's Church, Ducal Crypt, Christus, Hoffnung der Welt, Church of Maria Treu, Deutschordenskirche, Dominikanerkirche.
Donau City Kirche
- Arranged under the classifications of alpine, thermal or medical spa, each of Austria’s Finest Spa Hotels & Resorts features a range of different options.
- Austria is famous for its nude beaches. Click FKK.
- Winter Sports
- Alpsconstitute approximately 60% of Austria's surface area. It is one of Europe's major destinations forwinter sports: skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing, sleigh rides, curling or skating are all available and with excellent facilities.
- Outdoor Activities
- Hiking, bicycle rides, Scuba diving, waterskiing in the lakes of Salzkammergut. Austria is a famous destination for playing golf in Europe, with its 150 well-maintained golf courses.
- High quality handbags, glassware, chinaware and winter sports equipment.
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|Bregenzerwald Cheese Street|
|Natural History Museum|
|Chapel of the Hofburg|
|Hohe Tauern National Park|
Health and Safety
- Health Precautions
Vaccination against tetanus is required.
Rabies vaccination for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats.
- International Hospitals
- The staff in most of the hospitals can speak or at least understand English.
- For Further Information on Sanitary Conditions
Health news by Ministry of health, family and youth.
- For Further Information on Safety Conditions
Pages dedicated to the country on the site of the Canadian Foreign Office
Current Travel warnings proposed by the American State Department
|Helpline incase you are sick||142|
|Car breakdowns||120 or 123|
Time Difference and Climate
- Time and Time Difference
It is %T:%M %A In Vienna (GMT+1 in winter, GMT+2 in summer)
- Summer Time Period
- GMT + 2, from fourth Sunday in March to fourth Sunday in October.
Map of the Time Zone
- Type of Climate
- Climate in Austria is moderate with sunny winters and frequent snowfalls. Summers are pleasant with short and heavy spell of rainfall. North eastern part of Austria experiences severe cold winters and heavy foehn winds (a warm and dry wind).
- For Further Information
Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics
Average Annual Temperatures and Rainfall
- Food Specialties
Austrian gastronomy is famous for its cakes (Sacher Torte), its excellent cooked pork meats and its famous white wines (côteaux of Lower Austria, Styria and Burgenland). Some of the famous culinary specialities in the country are:
- Wiener Schnitzel: It is a traditional dish of breadcrumbed and fried veal escalope.
- Tafelspitz: It is regarded as Austria's national dish and consists simply of boiled beef.
- Palatschinken: These are Austrian pancakes.
- Apfelstrudel: It is the classic Austrian pudding.
- Mehlspeisen: It is the national term for cakes and puddings. There are around 60 varieties of Torte, which is often consumed with coffee.
The most common drinks are:
- Local wines: Good quality and cheap. Mainly while wine is consumed, particularly RieslingandVeltliner are well-known.
- Obstler: This drink is made by distilling various fruits. It is usually very strong, well-flavoured and cheap.
- Dietary Restrictions
- There are not any eating restrictions.
- Domestic Currency
- ISO Code
- To Obtain Domestic Currency
Foreign currencies and traveller's cheques can be exchanged at all banks, savings banks and exchange counters at airports and railway stations at the official exchange rates.
To find out the locations of ATMs in Austria , click on the link to your credit card: Visa, Mastercard or American Express
- Possible Means of Payment
Major credit cards are accepted in large cities. However, some smaller hotels may require bills to be paid in cash.
Traveller's cheques are widely accepted. To avoid additional exchange rate charges, travellers are advised to take traveller's cheques in a major currency (Euros, US Dollars, Pounds Sterling).
- Official Language
- German (official nationwide), Croatian (official in Burgenland), Slovene (official in Carinthia) and Hungarian (official in Burgenland).
- Other Languages Spoken
- Turkish, Serbian.
- Business Language
Though German is the national official language but English is also used as a business language, especially when dealing with foreign companies.
- Getting Some Knowledge
Basic conversation guide
Yes = Ja No = Nein
Thank you = Danke
Hello = Guten Tag
Good Morning= Guten Morgen
Goodbye, Goodbye = Auf Wiedersehen
I do not understand = Ich verstehe nicht
What is the price? How much does it cost? = Wieviel kostet das?
I would like to buy = Ich möchte kaufen.
Do you accept credit cards? = Akzeptieren Sie Kreditkarten? Nehmen Sie Kreditkarten?
Where is ... ? = Wo ist...?
An airport = der Flughafen
The station = der Bahnhof
Post office = die Post
The bank = die Bank
The police station,the police force = Polizeiwache
The chemist= die Apotheke
One ticket to..., please. = Eine Fahrkarte nach,
Would you have any available rooms for tonight ? = Haben Sie noch ein Zimmer frei?.
- Free Translation Tools
Babel Fish : Free English-German-English translator of texts and web pages
Systran : Free English-German-English translator of texts and web pages
Eurodicautom : The European Union Dictionary (12 languages available)
Leo : German-English-German dictionary with over 300,000 entries
- To Find an Accommodation
Austrian Hotel Association
Austrian National Tourist Office
Austrian National Tourist Office
Austrian National Tourist Office
Austrian National Tourist Office
- To Find an Apartment
- To Find a Job
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Business Travel in Austria!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Austrian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: