Contracts in Belgium
The Active Population in Figures
|Labor Force||6 million|
|Labor Force (Annual Growth, %)||-|
|Rate of Activity (%)||61.0|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||3.6|
|Employed Persons, by Occupation (% of Total Labor Force)||2006|
- For Further Statistics
government web site in statistics
Management of Human Resources
- Method of Recruitment
- Recruitment via connections is high rate of success. Interim as the charges and the constraints for employers are high, most companies would recruit after testing the person on interim basis. Big size companies recruit within the group/company.
- Recruitment Agencies
Russel Reynolds associate
- Recruitment Websites
- Type of Contract
- There are several types of employment contract commonly used in Belgium. There are different contracts for manual workers and white-collar workers. In addition, separate contracts exist for domestic workers, student workers, professional sports people and home workers. More info on Angloinfo.
- Breach of Contracts
- Dismissal because of misconduct or resignation means no benefit entitlement under normal circumstances. Dismissal must be done by registered letter.
Protected workers, such as trade union representatives, prevention advisers, workers on paternity leave and pregnant women, cannot be dismissed. In some cases dismissal is possible only if a severance payment is made.
- Other Possible Methods
- Employment may come to an end for various reasons. In most cases, either the employer or the employee gives notice. Other possibilities are expiry of the agreed period of employment, death, dismissal for serious misconduct, major force, or mutual agreement.
Sometimes a contract is suspended on account of a temporary instance of major force , such as inclement weather or a fire. If the suspension is short-term, the employer pays; otherwise payment is the responsibility of the unemployment office.
- Labor Laws
- Notice must be given in writing and indicate the start and duration of the period of notice. This period differs according to whether you are a manual worker or a white-collar worker, whether the employee hands in his or her notice (resignation) or whether the employer gives notice (dismissal). It is possible for the notice not to be worked, in which case it is replaced by a one-off payment, the amount of which is equivalent to the salary, which would have been paid or received during this period.
In Belgium, conciliation of collective labor disputes relies on the principle of voluntary conciliation. It is conducted by joint commissions, which are statutory bodies under public law, generally chaired by social conciliators, civil servants from the Department of Collective Labor Relations Service, in the Federal Ministry of Employment and Labor.
- Competent Legal Body
- Unionization Rate
Algemeen Christelijk Vakverbond / Confédération des Syndicats Chrétiens -
Nationale Bondsstaat van de Kaders / Confédération Nationale des Cadres -
Algemeen Belgisch Vakverbond / Fédération Générale du Travail de Belgique
- Regulation Bodies
Federal Public Service Employment, Labor and Social Dialogue
Federation of Belgian companies
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Contracts in Belgium!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Belgian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: