Sightseeing in Belgium
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
- In Brussels: the Grand-Place, the Atomium (vestige of the 1958 World Fair)
- In Bruges: the Grand-Place and its Belfry, the canals
- In Ghent: the City hall, the Saint Michel Bridge, Saint Nicolas Church and the Belfry
- In Antwerp: the cathedral, the port.
- Belgium is not a homogeneous country with one national identity. As such, it is therefore difficult to give a general overview that applies to all Belgians. Each area will have its own particularities. The three predominant cultures are: 1) in the north, Flanders - primarily Dutch, 2) in the south, Wallonia - primarily French and 3) the northeast - primarily German influenced.
- The religious heritage is huge. Further information can be found on the website Tourisme.be.
- Spa city and Ostend city. Find more information on Belgium Tourist Office.
- A few km of beach only, which does not attract many foreign tourists.
- Winter Sports
- Skiing in the Ardennes area.
- Outdoor Activities
- In a protected natural setting, you can do numerous outdoor activities, from mountain biking to kayak and many more.
Special purchases include ceramics and hand-beaten copperware from Dinant; Belgian chocolates; crystal from Val Saint Lambert; diamonds; jewelry from Antwerp; lace from Bruges, Brussels and Mechelen (Malines), woodcarvings from Spa and comic-strip books by a number of talented Belgian cartoon artists from Brussels.
Main shopping centers are located in Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Ghent, Liège, Mechelen, Mons, Namur and Ostend.
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|The Manneken Pis statue|
|The Grand Place Square|
|The Brussels City Museum|
|The Galeries St. Hubert|
|The Butcher’s Street|
|St Michel Church|
|The Comic Strip Centre|
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|Royal Museum of Fine Art, Antwerp|
|The Groeninge Museum, Flanders|
|The Ypres War Memorials and the Flanders Battlefields|
|Gravensteen Castle, Ghent|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 11/175
Evolution: 4 places down compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Rule of Law
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Women's Condition
- Nothing in particular
- For Further Information
Freedom in the World
- Degree of Freedom
The Constitution provides freedom of religion, and the Government generally respects this right in practice; however, the Government has taken action against groups that considers "harmful sects".
There are few reports of societal abuses or discrimination based on religious belief or practice. Some reports of anti-Semitic or Islamophobic acts are difficult to ascribe to a primary motivation of ethnicity or religious belief, as they are often inextricably linked. Some reports of discrimination against minority religious groups have surfaced.
- Catholics 95.9%, Others 4.1%
- Role of Religion in Society
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in Belgium!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Belgian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: