Distribution Networks in Brazil
Types of Outlet
- Supermarkets, hypermarkets
Carrefour, Pao de Açucar, Sendas, Bompreço, Paes Mendoça
- Wholesale, retail-wholesale, retail
Mostly fresh products for the majority of Brazilian households; exist in town and especially in rural areas
- Shops, grocery stores
Small shops make up a network of more or less formal distribution in rural areas and in the poor districts of towns, selling vital commodities.
- Unauthorized street hawkers
The last link in the distribution chain, characterized by a large number of salesmen, often undeclared, who sell drinks and food in public places, on the roads, outside concerts and sports meetings.
Evolution of the Retail Sector
- Growth and Regulation
- With the liberalization of trade, undertaken since 1990, many agents and distributors have formed themselves into companies and begun to import to sell on their own account. Today, the majority of the large distribution chains have their own import agency. For several years, supermarkets and in particular hypermarkets, have become more and more important in the distribution milieu. Brazilian hypermarkets make 80% of sales of staple commodities.
- Market Shares
- CBD/Casino : 9.19% ; Carrefour : 5.96% ; Wall Mart : 4.1% ; Atacadao: 2.43% ; Lojas Americanas: 2.18% ; SHV Makro: 2.01%.
- Organizations in the Retail Sector
Brazilian supermarket association (Abrasnet)
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Global food prices rose in March for a third straight month with more hikes to come, the UN's food agency said on Thursday, adding to fears of hunger and a new wave of social unrest in poor countries.
Brazil Trade Business Group on 6 Apr 2012 related to Distribution Networks in Brazil
Farmers feel the taste of the blood and prices rise U$ 100 with every enquiry. New crop is arriving but brazilian exporters already sold big quantities for September through December and now the main concern is covering the sales.
Brazil Trade Business Group on 11 Sep 2011 related to Distribution Networks in Brazil
Trader of Agricultural Commodities,braziltradebusinessgroup.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/brazil-trade-business-group-international-spice-brokers-agents/