Corporate Tax in Canada
- Tax Base For Resident and Foreign Companies
- All firms which run a company in Canada or own Canadian goods are liable for tax. Resident or non-resident companies are taxed on their net turnover, after expenses and deductions, if they show a profit.
|Federal Corporate Tax Rate||16.5%|
|Provincial Corporate Tax Rate||Between 10% and 16% according to the province|
- Tax Rate For Foreign Companies
- Foreign companies are subject to the same rate of taxation. On the other hand, they benefit from some exemptions.
- Capital Gains Taxation
- Long term capital gains are included in taxable income and are thus subject to the same taxation as company profits.
- Main Allowable Deductions and Tax Credit
Companies may amortize their capital property up to a certain percentage every year. Also general company expenses and training costs.
For further details, consult the Canadian Legal Information Institute website.
- Other Corporate Taxes
- Business taxes are levied by town councils. Some Canadian town councils do not levy business taxes or may offer certain exemptions. There is no fixed rate, it varies according to the council.
Country Comparison For Corporate Taxation
|Number of Payments of Taxes per Year||8.0||14.2||11.0||16.0|
|Time Taken For Administrative Formalities (Hours)||131.0||199.3||187.0||215.0|
|Total Share of Taxes (% of Profit)||29.2||43.0||46.8||48.2|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Corporate Tax in Canada!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: