Sightseeing in Canada
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
There are more than 154 historical sites listed in Canada.
Parks : 34 national and 82 historical national parks.
Montreal : the old quarter; the Cathedral-Basilica of Mary Queen of the World which is a copy of St Peter's in Rome; the Olympic park.
- Canada has more than 2900 museums. There are also many festivals and events, about 267 a year spread over all Canadian cities.
Canada is so immense that it overflows with natural beauty. More than 42 national parks, marine conservation areas, especially in the St Lawrence river, the Great Lakes, Niagara Falls and the Montmorency Falls. For further information, consult the Parks Canada website.
UNESCO has named 14 Canadian jewels World Heritage Sites.
- Canada's religious heritage is concentrated especially in Quebec where the Catholic religion had a strong foothold. Some of its churches are part of the religious heritage. Please consult the website of the Corporation for religious heritage and tourism.
- The hot springs of the Canadian Rockies are very well-known and managed by Parks Canada.
- There are many kilometres of beaches on the Pacific coast, the Atlantic coast, the Bay of Chaleur, the Gaspé Peninsula, Georgian Bay, the Thousand Islands region in the St Lawrence river, the Magdalen Islands.
- Winter Sports
Thanks to our climate, our chains of mountains, our vast expanses of land and frozen lakes, you can practise downhill skiing, cross-country skiing or ski touring, snow boarding, ski-pulka, sledding or tube sliding, paraski, skating, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, etc.
To practise skiing you can go to British Columbia in the Rockies, or to Quebec in the Laurentians and the Appalachians.
- Outdoor Activities
There are plenty of outdoor activities all year round in Canada. Winter and summer there are many festivals or events: Festivals and events in Quebec ; Festivals Alberta.
Possible summer activities are: whale and beaver watching, sea and river canoeing, rafting, black bear watching, contact with wolves, Quad bike riding, horse riding, fishing, hunting, diving, canoe, rowboat, motor boat or sail boat trips.
- Tourists especially want to taste and buy our famous maple syrup. They also like to taste the renowned "Smoked Meat", and "Ribs", or "BBQ Chicken".
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|Rideau Canal Ice Rink|
|Ottawa tulip festival|
|Canada Day - Parliament Hill|
|MacKenzie King Estate|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
- Canada is among the world's leaders for freedom of the press and standards are governed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 19/175
Evolution: 6 places up compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Rule of Law
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Women's Condition
- Canada is considered to be a leader as regards women's rights. However, Canadian women today are still paid 15 to 25% less than men.
- For Further Information
Conditions for women in Canada
- Degree of Freedom
- Freedom of worship is governed by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. However, there is a controversy in Quebec, over arrangements judged to be unreasonable and which infringe the rights of some people to the benefit of others.
- Catholics 43.2%, Protestants 29.2%, Orthodox Christians 3.2%, Atheists 16.2%, Muslims 2%, Jews 1.1%, Budhists 1%, Hindus 1%, Sikhs 0.9%.
- Role of Religion in Society
- The Catholic religion was the dominant religion for a long time in Canada. Over the last thirty years or so, its influence has greatly diminished. The practice of religions such as Islam disrupt and challenge a number of acquired freedoms (women's rights, freedom and equality).
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in Canada!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: