Expatriate Community in China
Communities of Expatriates
- The Number of Expatriates
- There is a relatively large expat community in the big cities.
Press for expatriates: That’s, Cityweekend (at Shanghai), Asiaxpat, Geoexpat
- For Further Information
All you need to understand China and to have a better life there
Ranking of Cities
- Cost of Living
- China is a relatively inexpensive country. However property costs are on a steep rise.
- Quality of Life
- Quality of life is generally good, but pollution remains a major problem. Keep in mind that 20 of the 30 most polluted cities in the world are in China.
- Sanitary Conditions
- Close to international standards in the main cities. Can be more delicate in secondary cities.
Renting an Apartment
- Description of Apartments
- Real estate can be expensive in China and everything depends on the environment you want (local or more international).
An 80m² apartment costs 500 EUR/month. A similar sized apartment in a residential space for foreigners can cost 1000 to 3000 EUR/month.
- Normal Lease Term
- Usually, one year contract
- Rental Costs
- It is standard practice to collect guarantee of one or two months rent and the agency fees is 1/2 to 1 month's rent
- Agencies or Private Rentals
- You are recommended to go through an agency to ensure that you have a contract in the correct form (generally in Chinese).
- Rental Agency Websites
- Private Rentals Announcements Online
Private rentals announcements online
- Other Possibilities For Accommodation
- Villa within compounds cost from 2000 to 10000 EUR/month
- School Level
- The Chinese school system includes day care centers, nursery schools, special schools for the deaf and dumb, "key schools", primary schools, secondary schools (including agricultural and professional schools), schools for teachers, technical schools and several institutions for higher education (general or specialized colleges and universities).
Since 1986, 9 years of schooling is compulsory. The medium of instruction in Chinese schools is Mandarin.
- International Schools
There aer many international schools in the big cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Canton.The most common schools are English, American, French and German.
- For Further Information
Ministry of Education, People's Republic of China
- Quality of Healthcare
- The healthcare system in China is inadequate. Today, the press estimates that 20% of the people benefit from 80% of medical spending by the government. They are essentially civil servants and employees of state-owned companies.
- International Hospitals
- In big Chinese cities, there are well-equipped international hospitals with adequate medical standards; the doctors are foreigners and Chinese and speak English.
However, in case of serious problems, you are recommended to avoid hospitals in China and get shifted to Hong Kong or Thailand (Bangkok).
- Health Insurance
- Accessibility of the Health Insurance Network to Foreigners
- Yes, but only in government hospitals.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
GTP China Cultural Training: Breaking Down Chinese Cultural Barriers In Business
GTP - Global Training Partners Singapore on 6 Jul 2015 related to Expatriate Community in China
Really! There is a way to get your money back from sly scammers without the police nor costly lawyers within 90 days. You cheat the cheaters and here is how...
China Fraud Patrol on 4 Oct 2012 related to Expatriate Community in China
Exposing Chinese Scams, China
Cross Cultural Intercultural Training Singapore