FDI in Denmark
FDI in Figures
In recent years, foreign direct investment stock in Denmark has increased sharply. Their influx temporarily slowed down as an effect of the global economic crisis, however it has increased again and this trend should continue. The country’s strengths include: highly-skilled and multilingual workforce, flexible labor market, ultra-modern infrastructure (telecommunications, transport) and a tax regime advantageous for business.
|Foreign Direct Investment||2007||2008||2009|
|FDI Inward Flow (million USD)||11,804||2,717||7,800|
|FDI Stock (million USD)||161,491||150,938||157,627|
|Performance Index*, Ranking on 141 Economies||85||125||66|
|Potential Index**, Ranking on 141 Economies||23||24||-|
|Number of Greenfield Investments***||67||65||36|
|FDI Inwards (in % of GFCF****)||16.9||3.8||8.0|
|FDI Stock (in % of GDP)||52.0||44.3||50.9|
Note: * The UNCTAD Inward FDI Performance Index is Based on a Ratio of the Country's Share in Global FDI Inflows and its Share in Global GDP. ** The UNCTAD Inward FDI Potential Index is Based on 12 Economic and Structural Variables Such as GDP, Foreign Trade, FDI, Infrastructures, Energy Use, R&D, Education, Country Risk. *** Green Field Investments Are a Form of Foreign Direct Investment Where a Parent Company Starts a New Venture in a Foreign Country By Constructing New Operational Facilities From the Ground Up. **** Gross Fixed Capital Formation (GFCF) Measures the Value of Additions to Fixed Assets Purchased By Business, Government and Households Less Disposals of Fixed Assets Sold Off or Scrapped.
FDI Inflows By Countries and Industry
|Main Investing Countries||2009, in %|
|Main Invested Sectors||2009, in %|
|Trade and transport||18.6|
|Information and telecommunications||6.0|
|Agricultural, fishing, mining||3.2|
Source: National Bank of Denmark
- Main Foreign Companies
- Microsoft IT, IBM IT, Motorola Telecom, Texaco Energy, Merck, Sharp & Dohme Pharmaceuticals, Statoil (Norway); L.M. Ericsson (Sweden); Nordea (Sweden); APV (United Kingdom); Bayer (Germany), and Q8 Oil (Kuwait).
- Sources of Statistics
Why You Should Choose to Invest in Denmark
- Strong Points
This Scandinavian state's main advantages are:
- A skilled and multilingual workforce;
- Political stability;
- A high purchasing power;
- Well developed infrastructures;
- Great flexibility;
- One of the most advanced telecommunication infrastructures in Europe. The country is a world leader in the use of PCs, Internet and Broadband; and
- A relatively low company taxation rate (25%). Aditionally, expatriates can benefit from a special tax regime.
- Weak Points
The country's main weak points are:
- A relatively high income tax rate;
- A limited domestic market;
- An economic system that is too dependent on the international situation; and
- A currently damages economy.
- Government Measures to Motivate or Restrict FDI
The laws and regulations implemented by the government in recent years are orientated towards more openness and are non-discriminatory. The Danish government has concentrated its efforts on the improvement of general investment conditions and on reducing structural obstacles to market access. Significant progress has been made in privatization, de-monopolization and competitiveness.
In the eyes of the investors, Denmark has the advantage of being strategically geographically situated. It is a natural doorway to Scandinavian countries and the Baltic region.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to FDI in Denmark!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Danish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: