Domestic Transportation in Denmark
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
Taxis are available everywhere. Taxi lights show green when they are free, and red when they are not.
All bigger cities and towns in Denmark have an excellent bus network of city and intercity buses.
Copenhagen is the only city in Denmark with a metro system. The metro offers connections to S-trains, which are electric trains connecting the city center with the suburbs of Copenhagen. The numerous S-trains just like the metro leave at frequent intervals and form the heart of the public transportation infrastructure of the city. Metro offers an extension to Copenhagen Airport ( reachable from the central station by a 12 minutes drive).
- Maps of Urban Networks
Map of Copenhagen Metro and S-train
Map of Copenhagen Metro, S-train and regional train
- Urban Transport Agencies
Copenhagen Metro website
- Find an Itinerary
Routes and timetables of Copenhagen Metro
Travel Plan for trains and busses
- Taxi Companies
Central Taxi Union
Danish Taxi Society (in Danish)
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Copenhagen - Kastrup (CPH)||8 km / 5 miles||DKK 200 / 15-20 min||DKK 28.50 / 30 min||DKR 28.50 / 20 min||Available|
|Aarhus - Thisted (AAR)||35km / 21 miles||DKK 300 / 35 min||DKK 55 / 40 min||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
The infrastructure is excellent everywhere, and all major islands and the peninsula of Jutland are inter-connected by a network of tunnels and bridges. Denmark's second largest city, Aarhus, is located on the Jutland peninsula, about three hours drive by car from Copenhagen. Visitors can also move easily from one part of the country to another by train or domestic airlines at reasonable prices.
There are twelve civilian airports, plus the Copenhagen International Airport (Kastrup), which is a major international airport and serves as the Scandinavian hub for SAS (Scandinavian Airline System). Copenhagen Airport was voted the world's second best airport in 2003 by the international airline organization IATA and the “Best in Europe” in 2005.
- Rail Companies
Danish State Railways
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Scandinavian Airline Systems||Major||yes||Yes|
|Cimber Sterling Airline||low cost||yes||Yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
When travelling around in the country the train is recommendable as a mean of transportation. If you are in a hurry, domestic air travel is also an option.
If you on the other hand wish to explore the country by yourself there are numerous possibilities of renting a car. Even though all the road signs are in Danish, it does not present tourists equipped with a road map with any difficulties of finding their way around in the country. You should however be alert since Denmark has a high volume of bicycle traffic - so keep an eye out for bicycles in intersections and roundabouts. Another interesting fact about Denmark is that the use of dipped headlights is compulsory at all hours.
For more information check the website of the Danish Road Directorate.
- Driver's License
For driving in Denmark a valid national driving license (in Roman type) or an international driving licence is accepted.
If you move to Denmark and hold a driver's license issued by a non EU country, you must contact the local municipality within 14 days in order to obtain a Danish driver's license or you will lose your rights of driving in Denmark.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
Minimum age is 21 years, but car hire companies may stipulate individual limits up to 28 years, depending on the category of the car you want to rent.
You must have driven a car for at least 6 to 12 months, and you must also be able to show a valid driving license.
- Rental Agencies
Budget Rent A Car
- Tolls or Taxes
- Danish highways are toll free, but there are tolls to pay if you are driving across the two major bridges in Denmark. For more information about tolls of the respective bridges visit their websites at: The Storebaelt Bridge and The Oresund Bridge.
- Road Maps
- Find an Itinerary
- Traffic Conditions Online
Traffic Information in Denmark
- Parking Facilities
- Parking restrictions in most areas are strict but clearly indicated. In the center of Copenhagen and most bigger cities a ticket system operates for parking. In Copenhagen, you need to display a parking disc on your dashboard for 1 hour of on street parking. Parking meters accept coins and some credit cards as means of payment.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- 18 years
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Right side.
- Speed Limits
- Speed limits are: 50 kph (30 mph) in town areas, 80 kph (50 mph) outside town areas, 130 kph on motorways (some stretches only allow 110 kph or less), and 70 kph (44 mph) for cars with a caravan or trailer traveling outside town areas or on motorways.
- Safety Belts
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- 0.05 per cent
- National Roads Organizations
Danish Road Directorate
The Danish Ministry of Transport
Denmark’s Road Safety and Transport Agency
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in Denmark!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Danish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: