Expatriation and Immigration in Egypt

Overview by Globlatrade.net:

Capital: Cairo


Total Population: 82,999,393
Annual Growth Rate: 1.8%
Density: 82 Inhabitants/km²
Urban Population: 42.6%
Population of main cities (including suburbs): Cairo (14,800,000); Alexandria (4,500,000); Giza (2,900,000).
Ethnic Origins: The Egyptian population is very homogeneous. More than 99% of the population is of Egyptian origin.
Official Language: Classic Arabic is the official language of the State and only about 50% of the population understand it. The Egyptian arabic (Masri) is the language spoken by the entire population.
Other Languages Spoken: Armenian, Domari, Nubian and Dongola.
Business Language(s): Egyptian Arabic and English. Some members of the business community also know French and German well.
Religion: 93.8% of Egyptians are Muslims. The other religions represent 6.2% of the population. The Copts form the main religious minority and the main Christian community of the East.
Literacy Rate: 71.4%

Local Time:

It is %T:%M %A In Cairo

Exchange Rate on

: National Currency:
Egyptian Pound (EGP)

Country Overview

Area: 1,001,450 km²
Type of State: Republic based on the constitution of 1971 revised in 2005. The state has a presidential system of government.
Type of Economy: Lower-middle-income economy; Emerging financial market..
The Egyptian Economy essentially relies on tourism, revenue from the Suez canal, revenue from private transfers and the export of oil and gas.
HDI*: 0.620/1
HDI (World Rank): 101/169

Note: (*) The HDI, Human Development Index, is an Indicator Which Synthesizes Several Data Such as Life Expectancy, Level of Education, Professional Careers, Access to Culture etc.


Telephone Code:
To Make a Call From Egypt, Dial 00
To Make a Call to Egypt, Dial +20
Internet Suffix: .eg
Computers: 3.7 per 100 Inhabitants
Telephone Lines: 14.7 per 100 Inhabitants
Internet Users: 15.4 per 100 Inhabitants
Access to Electricity: 98% of the Population

Foreign Trade in Figures

Foreign Trade Indicators 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
Imports of Goods (million USD) 27,300 37,100 48,382 44,946 52,923
Exports of Goods (million USD) 16,728 19,224 26,224 23,062 26,438
Imports of Services (million USD) 10,288 13,088 16,335 12,765 12,659
Exports of Services (million USD) 15,834 19,660 24,668 21,302 23,762

Source: WTO - World Trade Organization


Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.

Learn more about Egypt on GlobalTrade.net
Read more See less
Experts Views (1)
Post your content


Post content about Expatriation and Immigration in Egypt and you will be listed here to receive requests for offers.

Contact our expert contributor