Sightseeing in Egypt
Climate, Time Difference (0) , Communications (0) , Dining (0) , Domestic Transportation (0) , Language (0) , Lodging (0) , Sightseeing (1) , Travel Security (0) , Visas and Customs (0) , Weights, Measures, Adapters (0)
Overview by Globlatrade.net:
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
- The city of Cairo with its historic district and the famous pyramids of Gizeh.
Luxor, Aswan and the Nile Valley cannot obviously be overlooked with their archeological sites (Valley of Kings, Valley of Queens, Temple of Karnak, Hatchepsout, Abou Simbel).
- Cairo hosts every year an international film festival in November. The city offers many cultural activities. The Ahram Hebdo proposes every week a selection of cultural events of the week at Alexandria and Cairo.
- Ecotourism and desert safaris. Siwa Oasis, Marsa el Alam Park.
- Religious tourism is not well developed. The pilgrimage around the St.Catherine convent can be pointed out. In the same way, the El Azhar mosque attracts many tourists.
- Spa tourism is not well-developed. It is mostly practiced around the Siwa oasis.
- The Red Sea coastline is especially famous. Also the seaside resorts of Charm El Sheikh, Taba, Dahab and Hurghada have been developed to a great extent. Several tour operators offer stays in this area.
- Winter Sports
- Outdoor Activities
- It is possible to do scuba diving, fishing and snorkeling in the Red Sea. In the same way, trekking in 4x4, on camel or on pony are possible in the desert.
- The Khan El Khalili Bazar in Cairo is part of the must-see, must-do places of Cairo. There is a trend of shopping centres multiplying, but for the most part, they have only medium range products. Some galleries of large hotels offer luxury products
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|Church Abu Sirga|
|Beit el Sennari|
|Indian cultural centre|
|The great pyramid of Kheops|
|Sultan Hassan's Mosque|
|Arab League Street|
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|The Khan el Khalili market of Cairo|
|Temples of Abou Simbel|
|Temples of Karnak|
|Temple of Luxor|
|Oasis of Siwa|
|Nubia Museum of Aswan|
|Valley of Kings|
|Sharm el Sheikh|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil and political rights violations have been observed, as well as corruption and discrimination problems.
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
- There are recent improvements. Some journalists have taken chances and have pushed back the press freedom boundaries by diversifying the kind of media.
- World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 143/175
- Evolution: 3 places up compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- 10 million internet users and 160,000 bloggers in 2008. The freedom is relative, thus the use of blogs and forums in order to get around the restrictions. The government forbids access to certain websites and carries out surveillance on the internet (request done to cyber-cafes to record names and e-mail addresses of users), despite the legal absence of restrictions of usage.
- Freedom of Assembly
- The freedom of association is guaranteed by the constitution.
- Rule of Law
- Egypt is a constitutional state, even though the state of emergency, which has been imposed on the country, limits a number of basic rights. The degree of corruption is very high, particularly in the public sector. Investors often complain of the fact that administrative formalities and the bureaucratic slowness make bribery imperative in order to do business in the country.
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Rights are guaranteed by the constitution, however, inequalities have been observed.
- Women's Condition
- Constitutional equality, however, inequality of rights in the law, in its application and fairly common domestic violence.
- For Further Information
Freedom House reports
Amnesty International reports
- Degree of Freedom
- There is a constitutional right to religious freedom, which is in practise restricted by the government. Islam is the official religion and the Sharia a source for the legilation. Recognized minorities can in theory, practise without restrictions. However, there are recurring intimidation acts against some minorities (Christians). Certain religious groups are not recognized and have the most problems (Bahais).
- 93.8% of Egyptians are Muslims. The other religions represent 6.2% of the population. The Copts form the main religious minority and the main Christian community of the East.
- Role of Religion in Society
- Islam plays a major role in Egyptian social practises, up to the drafting of the legislation.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Read more See less
Support for your business
Contact our expert contributor
Travel Service Company, Egypt