Political Conditions in Finland
- Type of State
- Republic, democracy.
- Executive Power
- President of Finland is the head of state, leads the foreign policy, and is the Commander-in-Chief of the Defense Forces. The main executive power lies in the cabinet appointed and headed by the prime minister. Before the constitutional rewrite, which was completed in 2000, the president enjoyed more power.
- Legislative Power
- Legislative power is vested in the Parliament of Finland (Eduskunta), and the government has limited rights to amend or extend legislation. The president has the power of veto over parliamentary decisions although it can be overrun by the parliament.
- Main Political Parties
Finland has a multi-party system where a single party does not have chance to gain power alone; so parties work with each other to form coalition governments. The main political parties in the country are:
- Center Party (Suomen Keskusta) – a centrist political party, traditionally representing rural interests having strong political influence in small municipalities;
- National Coalition Party (Kansallinen Kokoomus) – a right-wing party draws its major support from business community and urban professionals;
- Social Democratic Party (Suomen Sosiaalidemokraattinen Puolue, SDP) – follows social-democratic ideology, draws its major support from country's working class;
- Greens (Vihreät) - advocates environmental interests;
- The Swedish People's Party (SFP) (in Finnish) – a moderate liberal party of Swedish speaking minority.
- Current Political Leaders
President: Tarja Halonen (since March 2000, re-elected in January 2006) –Social Democratic Party (SDP)
Prime Minister: Mari KIVINIEMI (since 22 June 2010) - Centre Party (Kesk)
- Next Election Dates
Presidential: January 2012
Parliamentary: March 2011
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 3 place up compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Finland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Finnish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: