FDI in Finland
FDI in Figures
In the context of the international financial crisis, FDI inflow to Finland decreased dramatically in 2009; since then it has been growing slowly, a trend which is expected to continue into 2010. With regard to domestic FDI stocks, the country is ranked 38th in the world.
The country’s strenghts include: its reputation as having the least amount of corruption in the world, its competitiveness, its strategic position at the center of a dynamic zone formed by Russia, Scandinavia and the Baltic countries, and its economic orientation towards high technology, research and development.
For more information, refer to the Invest in Finland website.
|Foreign Direct Investment||2007||2008||2009|
|FDI Inward Flow (million USD)||12,384||-1,974||2,551|
|FDI Stock (million USD)||91,631||83,137||88,441|
|Performance Index*, Ranking on 141 Economies||68||139||112|
|Potential Index**, Ranking on 141 Economies||14||14||-|
|Number of Greenfield Investments***||38||38||24|
|FDI Inwards (in % of GFCF****)||23.6||-3.4||17.4|
|FDI Stock (in % of GDP)||37.3||30.8||37.2|
Note: * The UNCTAD Inward FDI Performance Index is Based on a Ratio of the Country's Share in Global FDI Inflows and its Share in Global GDP. ** The UNCTAD Inward FDI Potential Index is Based on 12 Economic and Structural Variables Such as GDP, Foreign Trade, FDI, Infrastructures, Energy Use, R&D, Education, Country Risk. *** Green Field Investments Are a Form of Foreign Direct Investment Where a Parent Company Starts a New Venture in a Foreign Country By Constructing New Operational Facilities From the Ground Up. **** Gross Fixed Capital Formation (GFCF) Measures the Value of Additions to Fixed Assets Purchased By Business, Government and Households Less Disposals of Fixed Assets Sold Off or Scrapped.
FDI Inflows By Countries and Industry
|Main Investing Countries||2009, in %|
|Main Invested Sectors||2009, in %|
|Finance and insurance||32.8|
|Services (other than trade, finance and insurance)||26.3|
|Metallurgy and engineering||16.5|
|Manufacturing (other than metallurgy, enginee
ring, chemical industry)
Source: Bank of Finland
- Form of Company Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Limited Liability Company or public limited liability company
- Form of Establishment Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Limited Liability Company
- Main Foreign Companies
- See information on the Invest in Finland website.
- Sources of Statistics
R&D statistics by Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation
Why You Should Choose to Invest in Finland
- Strong Points
The country's strong points are:
- Political stability;
- A strategic geographic location between Scandinavia, Russia and the Northern European expanding markets;
- A multilingual population;
- One of the least corrupt countries in the world;
- The significant investment done in Research and Development expenses (ranked 3rd in the world);
- An extremely industrialised economy, based mainly on the free market and which showed a per capita return similar to the United Kingdom, France and Germany; and
- One of the most competitive economies in the world, according to WEF Global Competitiveness Report 2007-2008.
- Weak Points
Finland's main weak points are:
- A limited domestic market; and
- High taxation rates.
- Government Measures to Motivate or Restrict FDI
- In the past years, Finland has made considerable progress in eliminating discriminatory regulations against foreign investors. The government's clear intention is to promote the country's integration into the European economic zone. Finlands strategic geographic location, situated between its European Community partners and the newly independent Eastern European states, gives it a definite advantage.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to FDI in Finland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Finnish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: