Investment Opportunities in Finland
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Finland
- Finland is a signatory to 56 conventions.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- Finland has been involved in no case of disagreement concerning foreign investment. UNCTAD offers a database listing disagreements and the countries involved, complementary information about the evolution of settlement of international disputes concerning investment.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
Arbitration Institute , Central Chamber of Commerce of Finland
ICCWBO , International court of arbitration, International chamber of commerce
ICSID , International Center for settlement of Investment Disputes
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||6.0||6.0||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||4.0||5.2||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||7.0||6.8||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||5.7||6.0||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Obligation to Declare
- Certain acquisitions of large Finnish companies may require follow-up clearance from the Ministry of Employment and the Economy in accordance with the act on the control of foreign acquisitions of Finnish companies. The purpose of the clearance is to protect essential national interests.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
Ministry of Employment and the Economy
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- A non-EEA person or company operating in Finland must obtain a license or a notification when starting a business in the regulated forms of trade such as banking and insurance sector.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
- Business incubators in Finland, office rental.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
- Private property rights are well protected in Finland. Private property is only expropriated for public purposes (eminent domain), in a non-discriminatory manner and with reasonable compensation and in accordance with established principles of international law.
- Forms of Aid
- Foreign investors can benefit from financing aids such as long-term low-interest loans. See the Investment Promotion Agency website for more information.
- Privileged Domains
- Aid is aimed mainly at improving the long term competitiveness of small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- Organizations Which Finance
- Business aid to companies is coordinated by Employment and Economic Development Centres (T&K Centers). Loans are guaranteed by the state-owned financing company Finnvera. Funding for challenging and innovative projects potentially leading to global success stories is provided by Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation (Tekes).
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Telecommunications, computers and peripherals, computer software, environmental technologies, medical equipment, biotechnology, safety and security, travel and tourism services
- High Potential Sectors
- Best franchising opportunities lie in underdeveloped areas of B2B services (such as personnel, building repair/maintenance, training and IT) and consumer services (cleaning services, interior design, nursing, etc.). Telecommunications is a highly competitive sector but growing fast; e-commerce in telecommunications is expected to benefit. Finland also serves as an excellent gateway to the emerging computer software markets of Russia and the Baltic countries. The overall high level of public and private investment in biotechnology, infrastructure and technical know-how offer opportunities for foreign firms.
- Privatization Programs
- Finland has opened up electricity, gas, telecommunications postal and rail markets in recent years to meet EU requirements.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Tenders Info, Tenders in Finland
Ted - Tenders Electronic daily, Business opportunities in EU 27
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
- State-owned betting company Veikkaus currently has exclusive rights to market legal gambling services in Finland. The state has a monopoly on the retail of alcoholic beverages.
- Sectors in Decline
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation
The Finnish Innovation Fund
Finnish Investment Promotion Agency
The representations of the Finnish Investment Promotion Agency abroad
- Other Useful Resources
The EU website on SMEs and Entrepreneurship
- Doing Business Guides
Finnvera financing guide
Finland Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Finland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Finnish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: