Reaching the Consumer in Finland
- Growing Sectors
- Telecommunications, biotechnology, environment technologies, machinery and scientific instruments, medical equipment, safety/security
- Consumer Behavior
The most important factors affecting the Finnish consumer behavior are quality, safety and the origin of the product. Brand is considered a strong signal of quality. Finns favor national products especially when it is a question of food products. Conformity with European norms (CE marking) is seen by the consumer as
a guarantee of quality. In the same way, the ecological label
encourages consumers to buy the product. In case of products that are good quality, technologically advanced and conformed to the
criteria of environmental protection, the price is a much less
important factor in the consumer's choice.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
The Finnish consumer is open to new products and concepts. There is a large demand for goods with high added value. In terms of food, ready-cooked meals that are healthy and easy to prepare are becoming more and more popular among Finns. Finnish consumers like simple and practical products with simple packaging, non-harmful for the environment.
The increase in the Finnish consumers' purchasing power has boosted Finnish imports.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- The use of consumer credits is quite high. Finns feel confident regarding their financial situation and have increased their level of debt.
- Consumers Associations
Kuluttajavirasto , The National Consumer Administration
ECC , the European Consumer Centre Finland
BEUC , the European Consumers' organization
Media in Which to Advertise
Expensive but reaches consumers massively
Nelonen - Tv 4
Bonnier Group (MTV3, Subtv)
SanomaWSOY Group (Nelonen, JIM and Urheilukanava; and pay TV channels KinoTV and Urheilu+kanava)
YLE, Finland's national public service broadcasting company
Quite expensive but reaches consumers effectively; most Finnish households are subscribers of at least one newspaper.
Traditional media still in use; may not be very effective.
- In Transportation Venues
In major cities
in buses and at the the stations: hanging flyers, framed posters, stickers, and flat-panel video. Reach a lot of consumers.
Finnish Outdoor Advertising Association
Most stations are local and highly profiled in terms of listeners. Advertising worth investigating.
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
Online advertising is growing rapidly; most of all advertising on websites but also email advertising. Advertising through sms is effective and thus used more and more.
- Main Advertising Agencies
Pool Media International
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
- Not permitted if in connection with driving a vehicle.
- Not permitted.
- Must be approved by the authorities.
- Other Rules
- Advertising for children under 18 is more strict. Word "free" is not allowed unless the product is free of charge with no further involvement.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Allowed. In Finland a lot of advertising is done in simple English today.
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
Finnish Consumer Agency
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Reaching the Consumer in Finland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Finnish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: