Business Practices in France
- The Fundamental Principles of Business Culture
- The principles appreciated in business are: courtesy, formal relations, mutual confidence and respect.
It can be useful to set up a network of business acquaintances.
- First Contact
- Make an appointment at least two weeks ahead of time. Avoid July and August which are periods when people often take their holidays.
If necessary, let them know if something comes up.
- Shake hands with the person you are meeting and greet her/him by putting Madame or Monsieur before their name.
- How to Present Yourself
- Begin introducing yourself by saying « Enchanté », then give your first name and your surname.
- Business Relations
- Avoid being overly friendly with the person you are meeting. The French tend to keep their professional life separate from their private life.
- In business, exchanging gifts is rare except at Christmas and New Year when it is customary to give chocolates, wine, books, etc.
- Business Communication
- Be patient as negotiations can take a long time and you may have to wait for decisions to be made.
Avoid confrontations or pressure tactics, but do not hesitate to debate and defend your point of view. A very precise written contract will make the agreement official.
- Dress Code
- Discreet and stylish, rather conservative for the first meeting, then adapted according to the appointment.
Men wear classic, dark suits.
Women wear plain suits.
- Visiting Cards
- Visiting cards are exchanged at the beginning or at the end of the first meeting, without any particular formality.
A translation in French on the back of the card would be a plus.
- For Further Information
Doing business In France
French culture, customs and etiquette
Guide to France
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
On 12 October 2011, the French National Assembly voted to ban Bisphenol A (BPA) in food containers and household utensils. French lawmakers have professed to be in favour of this move, which includes banning products that contain any BPA, despite facing opposition from the industrial lobby. The vote took place at a...
Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) on 29 Nov 2011 related to Business Practices in France
Find the related French companies with Kompass:
Government Trade Promotion, Hong Kong SAR