Political Conditions in France
- Type of State
- Republic, parliamentary democracy combined with presidential power.
- Executive Power
- The President of the Republic is the Head of State. He is elected by direct universal suffrage for 5 years. He appoints the Prime Minister and his government at the suggestion of the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister sets the amount of the State's expenses and revenue, and prepares some bills.
- Legislative Power
- The parliament is composed of the Senate and the National Assembly. Senators are elected by indirect universal suffrage for 9 years renewable by a one-third majority vote every 3 years. The deputies (MPs) are elected by direct universal suffrage. They examine bills and private bills successively, vote laws and monitor the government.
- Main Political Parties
The French Right is made up of the Union for a Popular Movement (UMP), the majority party, the Union for French Democracy (New UDF) and the Democratic Movement (MoDem) situated more to the Center and the National Front (FN) which is on the extreme right.
The Left brings together the Socialist Party (PS), the Greens (Ecologists), the French Communist Party (PCF) and various extreme left parties.
- Current Political Leaders
President : Nicolas Sarkozy (since May 2007) - UMP
Prime Minister : François Fillon (since May 2007) - UMP
- Next Election Dates
- Presidential and Parliamentary elections: 2012
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 8 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in France!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related French companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: