Contracts in France
Overview by Globlatrade.net:
The Active Population in Figures
|Labor Force||27 637 000||27 518 000|
|Labor Force (Annual Growth, %)||0.43||-|
|Rate of Activity (%)||44.0||44.1|
|Unemployment Rate (%)||9.8||9.9|
|Employed Persons, by Occupation (% of Total Labor Force)||2005|
|Shopkeepers and similar
|Managers and higher intellectual professions
- For Further Statistics
INSEE statistics on work
- For Further Information About the Labor Market
ILO, International Labor Organization
Studies and research of the Ministry of Employment
Management of Human Resources
- Method of Recruitment
- More and more applications are made via Internet. The method of recruitment in France is by face to face interview.
- Recruitment Agencies
ANPE is the official employment agency.
There is also a specialized agency for managers, the APEC.
Recruitment agencies: Michael Page International, Hudson, etc.
Agencies specialized in temporary work: Vediorbis, Adecco, etc.
- Recruitment Websites
Portal for on-line recruitment
- Type of Contract
- The permanent contract (CDI) is the type of contract which is most often used.
The fixed-term contract (CDD) makes it possible to resort to temporary workers.
The Contrat Nouvelle Embauche (New Hiring Contract) is a new form of CDI where the rules for breach of contract are more flexible during the first two years in exchange for the payment of an indemnity of 10%.
- Breach of Contracts
- There are several ways of retiring: early retirement, automatic retirement and official retirement.
The employer initiates dismissals:
- redundancy is either individual or mass redundancy
- dismissal for professional misconduct
- Other Possible Methods
- Resignation; this is initiated by the employee.
- Labor Laws
Juritravail, an information website on labor law
- Cases of Dispute
- Physical violence (7%), moral harassment (7,7%), sexual harassment (1,5%), working conditions, etc.
- Legal Framework
Submission to the council: this is the filing of the request for the procedure of settling work disputes.
Arbitration: conciliation between the parties is achieved. In case of non-conciliation, the procedure is referred to the judgement bureau.
Judgement: the case is judged by the councillors of the industrial tribunal (conseil des prud'hommes).
Remedy at law: the case can be submitted to the appeal court (cours d'appel) and this can review the decision of the industrial tribunal.
- Defined in the Labor Code
- Social Dialogue and Involvement of Social Partners
- In France negotiations take place at the national level, at the level of sectors of activity and at the company level.
- Unionization Rate
- Today 8% of French employees belong to a union, that is twice fewer than 25 years ago. And yet the unions remain strong and active.
The CGT, general labor confederation
The CFDT, French democratic labor confederation (in French)
FO, workers' union
The CFTC, French Christian workers' confederation
The CFE-CGC, management confederation-general confederation of managers
The UNSA, national union of autonomous unions
The Solidaires trade union
- Regulation Bodies
The Ministry of Employment
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Read more See less
Find the related French companies with Kompass:
Support for your business
Contact our expert contributor
Legal Consulting, the United States