Employees in France
- Opening Hours
- Legal Weekly Duration
- 35 hours
- Maximum Duration
- Maximum duration:: 10 hours per day and 48 hours per week.
- Night Hours
- Between 9pm and 6am.
- Working Rest Day
- The weekly rest day of at least 24 hours is Sunday; this day must be observed but permanent dispensations may be granted for particular activities.
- Paid Annual Vacation
2 and a half working days of paid vacation a month; working days are all weekdays except Sunday and public holidays.
This equals 30 days or 5 weeks vacation a year.
- Retirement Age
- 65 years of age, but as soon as the employee has paid enough into the compulsory retirement scheme, he can leave his work any time after age 60.
- Child Labor and Minimum Age For Employment
- 16 years old
- Informal Labor Market
About 6% of the population say they have worked without being declared every year. For further information consult
the European Commission's study of undeclared work.
Undeclared work is above all made up of hours of work only partially declared or undeclared overtime.
The Cost of Labor
- Minimum Wage
- The minimum wage is EUR 8.44 an hour.
- Average Wage
- In 2005, the average annual wage for men was EUR 24,446 and for women EUR 19, 818.
- Other Forms of Pay
- Pay For Overtime
Between the 36th and 39th hour an increase of 25%.
Between the 40th and the 43rd hour an increase of 25%.
From the 44th hour an increase of 50%.
- Pay For Rest Days Worked
- According to the collective agreements, except May 1 which is increased by 100%.
- Pay For Night Hours
For one hour of night work if it is for less than 25 nights a year: an increase of 25%
For one hour of night work if it is for more than 25 nights a year: 10%
- Pay For Overtime at Night
- The same as for overtime.
Social Security Costs
- The Areas Covered
- Health insurance (medical care, maternity, disability, death), retirement pensions, family allowances, unemployment benefit.
- Contributions Paid By the Employer: 42% to 45% (the employer pays the contributions to be free of his commitments regarding sickness, retirement and unemployment).
Contributions Paid By the Employee: 22%
- Competent Organization
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
A synthetic and ready to print leaflet about the social regulation and contributions in force in France in 2013
JPA on 19 Jun 2013 related to Employees in France
Options-RH is a an HR consulting company, specialised in dowsizing, redundancy, and assessments.
Options-RH on 20 Sep 2012 related to Employees in France