Distribution Networks in France
Types of Outlet
- Hypermarkets, supermarkets and mini-markets
- Located on the outskirts of towns. They sell foodstuffs and non food products. Mini-markets are smaller and located in town.
- Specialized Hypermarkets
- Hypermarkets specialize in one family of products.
DIY: Leroy Merlin
Electrical appliances: Darty
- Department stores
- Located in the town center on several floors. They have various specialized departments.
Les Galeries Lafayette
Le Bon Marché
- Hard discount
- Mainly for food. They sell products of the distributor's own brand or none brand at all. People prefer them for their discount prices.
- Small shops
- Specialized local shops: grocers, butchers, fishmongers, greengrocers, cheese shops, delicatessens, bakeries, cake shops, florists. People prefer them for the quality of their products, human contact and advice.
- Cash and Carry
- Hypermarkets reserved for professionals.
Evolution of the Retail Sector
- Growth and Regulation
- In 2004, the wholesale trade represented 172,000 companies and a 53.6 billion euro turnover. The retail trade represented 350,000 companies, a 359.8 billion euro turnover. The setting up of hypermarkets is regulated by the Royer Law of 1973 and the Raffarin Law of 1996 ; they aim to protect local shops.
- Market Shares
- Mass marketing dominates the retail trade sector in France with, in 2006, 5,525 supermarkets and 4,074 hard discount stores. The Carrefour group is in the leading position with a turnover of 77.9 billion euros. Then comes Auchan with 35.3 billion, Intermarché with 31.5 billion, Leclerc and Casino ( 2006 ranking).
- Organizations in the Retail Sector
The Federation of Trade and Distribution Companies (FCD)
The associated trade stores
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Companies wishing to use distribution, franchising and agency arrangements need to ensure that the agreements they put into place are in accordance with European Union (EU) and Member State national laws.
U.S. Commercial Service France on 6 Jan 2010 related to Distribution Networks in France
Find the related French companies with Kompass:
U.S. Department of Commerce, France