Investment Opportunities in Germany
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Germany
Germany has signed many bilateral agreements.
To see the list of countries, click here.
To see the conventions, click here.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- Germany is in a controversy situation with India because of the Ashok Sancheti, with the Czech Republic in the of the forest and with Ukraine for an oil tanker litigation.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICCWBO , International court of arbitration, International chamber of commerce
ICSID , International Center for settlement of Investment Disputes
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- Germany is a signatory to the Convention of the MIGA.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||5.0||6.0||7.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||5.0||5.2||9.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||5.0||6.8||9.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||5.0||6.0||8.3|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Foreign investors may have a majority holding in the capital of a local company.
- Obligation to Declare
- The agency for the promotion of foreign investment in the country gives information about the authorizations necessary for setting up.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
Federal Office of Economics and Export Control
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- Investments have to be governed by the policies and the procedures which are specific to the sector. For more information refer to the BAFA.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
- The property ownership regulation first and foremost comes from State responsibility.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
- According to German law, foreign investors are entitled to compensation if they are victims of expropriation.
- Forms of Aid
- Foreign investors should contact the Invest in Germany agency and the Federal Commissioner for Foreign Investment in Germany for further information about aid for setting up in Germany.
- Privileged Domains
- Subsidies, low interest rate loans, financial incentives and other financial measures are financed by the European Union, the Federal Government and various Länders (administrative units). For more information, refer to the German investment promotion agency.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- The most important incentives concern operations carried out in the 5 new Länder in the East of the country. Companies can benefit from subsidies for equipment, structures for research and development (see with the Ministry of the Economy and Technology). They can also obtain preferential loans and guarantees, for example when they create autonomous structures in these Länder or when they acquire a holding in a company established in these same Länder.
- Free Zones
- The eastern part of Germany
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Consumer goods, since the number of inhabitants is the highest in Europe. Subcontracted goods, as Germany is the machine tool champion. High technology products and the renewable energies.
- High Potential Sectors
- Services to consumers.
- Privatization Programs
- The railway, water supply and stakes in sports.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Bundesausschreibungsblatt, Tenders official body (in German)
Tenders Info, Tenders in Germany
Ted - Tenders Electronic daily, Business opportunities in EU 27
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
- Sectors in Decline
- Wood, steel and iron industries.
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Invest in Germany
- Doing Business Guides
The Lexmundi « Doing Business » guide to Germany
The Deloitte "International Tax and Business Guide" on Germany
Germany Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Germany!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related German companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: