Reaching the Consumer in Germany
- Growing Sectors
- New technologies in information and communication, Bank, Insurance, medical and chemistry sectors.
- Consumer Behavior
- Every month, the GFK market research Institute publishes information about consumption in Germany.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
- Germany is ranked 10th in Europe, with an average annual income of 17 087 EUR per inhabitant. German households are saving more and more: 151 billion euros in 2003, an increase of 16.4% in 10 years.
The German consumer shows a strong propensity to compare prices and patronize "discount" stores. He is very aware of special offers, and readily goes to different shops in order to get better prices. He has very strict criteria when making a choice, according to the type of goods he wants to buy. For consumer durables, the criteria are in order safety and quality, prestige, comfort and convenience and price. For everyday goods, the only determining factor is price. For professional capital goods, the obsession with safety leads to buying criteria based on quality, reliability, the supplier's follow up and after sales service. Price is not one of the dominant criteria for this type of product. On the other hand, for minor equipment or industrial supplies, the price factor predominates.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- Consumer credit in Germany has grown little over the last few years. Many factors have contributed to this, especially the present low economic growth, persistent unemployment, lower consumer confidence, a culture hostile to debt, etc.
- Consumers Associations
VZBV , Federation of German Consumer Organizations
TEST , Product test foundation
Verbraucher , Consumer Initiative
Media in Which to Advertise
- National or regional impact according to the channel chosen.
ARD (Assoc. Of Publ. Broadcasting Of Germany)
DSF Deutsches Sport Fernsehen
FFF-Franken Funk Und Fernsehen
Prog. Directorate Of Erstes Deutsches Fernsehen
Prosieben Media AG
Spiegel TV GMBH
ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen)
- National or regional impact according to the newspaper chosen.
Financial Times Deutschland
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeïtung
- Advertising in letter-boxes concerns above all discounters and hypermarket special offers. Be careful: many people tend to throw it away.
- In Transportation Venues
- You can advertise on 4x3 billboards, on trams, on taxis, on huge tarpaulins on the façades of buildings. Außenwerbung, Plakatwerbung, Stadtmöblierungen.
Ströer Out-of-Home Media AG
awk Aussenwerbung GmbH
DSM Zeit und Werbung GmbH
KAW (Kölner Aussenwerbung)
blowUP media GmbH
- National impact.
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
- It is developing gradually.
- Main Advertising Agencies
Carat media agency
OMD media agency
Mind Share media agency
Bader Media agency
Initiative media agency
Gesamtverband Kommunikationsagenturen GWA e.V
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
- Find information on the Alkohol und Werbung website.
- After years of being very tolerant of advertising for cigarettes, Germany applied, on 29 December 2006, the European law prohibiting cigarette advertising in the press, on the radio and on Internet. Sponsoring is also prohibited. For further information: DZV Deutscher Zigarettenverband e.V.
- Germany is governed by the law called "Heilmittelwerbegesetz" (HWG) which has followed European law since 2005. Consult the list of illnesses "Krankheitsliste" for which advertising medicines is authorized.
- Other Rules
- The protection of children and young people is more specifically with regard to foodstuffs and alcoholic beverages.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Landesmedienanstalten (ALM)
Zentralverband der deutschen Werbewirtschaft e.v. (ZAW)
Der Deutsche Werberat
European Advertising Standards Alliance (EASA)
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Companies wishing to use distribution, franchising and agency arrangements need to ensure that the agreements they put into place are in accordance with European Union (EU) and Member State national laws.
U.S. Commercial Service Germany on 5 Jan 2010 related to Reaching the Consumer in Germany
Find the related German companies with Kompass:
Internationalization Consulting, BrazilHow2Go specializes in bilateral internationalization of companies from Europe and America, formed by a team of...
U.S. Department of Commerce, Germany