FDI in Greece
FDI in Figures
The available data on FDIs in Greece should be taken with caution because they do not reflect the real situation. Compared to other countries of the European Union, the level of FDIs is low, and given the difficulties the country is currently facing, this trend should continue.
The high level of corruption and lack of transparency are the two main obstacles to the growth of FDIs.
|Foreign Direct Investment||2007||2008||2009|
|FDI Inward Flow (million USD)||2,111||4,499||3,355|
|FDI Stock (million USD)||53,221||38,119||44,927|
|Performance Index*, Ranking on 141 Economies||132||118||115|
|Potential Index**, Ranking on 141 Economies||43||46||-|
|Number of Greenfield Investments***||38||48||38|
|FDI Inwards (in % of GFCF****)||3.2||6.6||15.0|
|FDI Stock (in % of GDP)||17.2||10.9||13.6|
Note: * The UNCTAD Inward FDI Performance Index is Based on a Ratio of the Country's Share in Global FDI Inflows and its Share in Global GDP. ** The UNCTAD Inward FDI Potential Index is Based on 12 Economic and Structural Variables Such as GDP, Foreign Trade, FDI, Infrastructures, Energy Use, R&D, Education, Country Risk. *** Green Field Investments Are a Form of Foreign Direct Investment Where a Parent Company Starts a New Venture in a Foreign Country By Constructing New Operational Facilities From the Ground Up. **** Gross Fixed Capital Formation (GFCF) Measures the Value of Additions to Fixed Assets Purchased By Business, Government and Households Less Disposals of Fixed Assets Sold Off or Scrapped.
FDI Inflows By Countries and Industry
|Main Investing Countries||2008, in %|
|Main Invested Sectors||2008, in %|
|Transport, storage, communication||10.2|
|Trade and maintenance||8.2|
Source: OECD Statistics
- Form of Company Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Consult Invest in Greece website.
- Form of Establishment Preferred By Foreign Investors
- Consult Invest in Greece website.
- Main Foreign Companies
- Coca Cola Hellas Bottling, Philip Morris Group (Papastratos), Vodafone, Carrefour, Amstel-Heineken (Athenian Brewery), Beiersdorf.
- Sources of Statistics
Invest in Greece
Why You Should Choose to Invest in Greece
- Strong Points
Greece's main strong points are:
- Its membership to the European Monetary Union (EMU). Today, Greece has become the economic hub of Southeast Europe;
- Its competitiveness within the active population in terms of education, manpower costs and work productivity;
- Its geographical location, which makes it a strategic link to the emerging markets of the Balkans, Black Sea, Eastern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean regions; and
- Its infrastructures, which are improving significantly, mainly due to the 3rd European Union community support framework.
- Weak Points
- The Greek economy has always been and continues to be subject, to intense governmental regulation. According to Transparency International the country also has to tackle high levels of corruption that affect many aspects of the economic and commercial life. In addition, growth has been financed by private sector loans and the public sector's absorption of EU structural adjustment funds, which has caused a large public deficit.
- Government Measures to Motivate or Restrict FDI
- The Legislative Decree number 2687 of 1953 as well as Article 112 of the Constitution, give approved foreign "productive investments" property rights, preferential tax treatment and work permits for foreign managerial and technical staff.
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to FDI in Greece!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Greek companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: