Trade Disputes in Greece
- Greek Law provides that by agreement issues of private law can be submitted to arbitration. Arbitration agreement can include both existing and future disputes. Greek law validates an agreement to arbitration either if it is oral or written. It specifically requires it in writing when it refers to future dispute.
- Arbitration Law
- Greek Commercial Law, b.d 19 of April/1 of May 1835.
- Conformity to International Commercial Arbitration Rules
- Appointment of Arbitrators
- COCP states that the parties are free to determine the number of arbitrators. Failing this determination each party appoints one arbitrator. The relevant restrictions ensure that the principle of equality shall be observed.
- Arbitration Procedure
The Law gives the parties the option of appointing an independent third party as mediator. Article 871 of the Greek Code of Civil Law also refers to the notion of conciliation.
ADR procedures have recently been incorporated into Greek law (Law No. 2298/1995 and more importantly, Law No. 2479/1997) and impact on court procedures. Since the 1th of November 2000, private disputes valued at more than 80,000 EUR and falling within the juridiction of the Multi-Member Courts of First Instance, cannot proceed to trial unless the parties have first attempted to reach a court-directed settlement.
- Permanent Arbitration Bodies
Organisation for Mediation and Arbitration (Sectors Covered: This body deals solely with labor disputes, mediation and arbitration. It functions under the auspices of the Greek Ministry of Labor.)
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Trade Disputes in Greece!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Greek companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: