Investment Opportunities in Hong Kong SAR
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Hong Kong
Hong Kong has signed bilateral agreements for investments with 15 countries.
To see the list of countries, click here.
To see the agreements, click here.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- There is no registered case of controversy.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICSID , International Center for settlement of Investment Disputes
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- China is signatory of the MIGA Convention .
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Hong Kong||East Asia & Pacific||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||10.0||5.2||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||8.0||4.5||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||9.0||6.3||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||9.0||5.3||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Yes. Visit http://www.investhk.gov.hk/
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Acquisition is authorised, except in certain sectors of activity.
- Obligation to Declare
- A registration certificate should be requested from Inland Revenue Department (IRD). Foreign Investment Agency in the country keeps you informed about the authorisations necessary for the establishment.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
Tax authority of Hong Kong (IRD)
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- Only some sectors are closed for foreign investors, like communications or other areas of activity considered for public utility.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
- Leasing of the premises.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
Expropriation can be possible but along with negotiations. They have a right to compensation.
- Forms of Aid
- Hong Kong government encourages foreign investments, specially projects which are aimed to introduce new or improved products and services on the territory. However, there are no direct incentives for foreign investment because in the opinion of the government, Hong Kong already offers very attractive advantages, as its infrastructures, tax system, skilled manpower, a strategic position. Invest Hong Kong is the Agency for International investment promotion and provides plenty of information in this regard.
- Free Zones
- Hong Kong is a free port.
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
The service sector has a very significant role in the economy of Hong Kong (88% of GDP).
Corporate Services, retail sale, information technologies, telecommunications, electronics and biotechnology, tourism, transport.
- High Potential Sectors
- Franchise, cosmetics, electronic components, architectural services, clean construction material, environmantal technologies, tourism.
- Privatization Programs
- Airport, social housings, social security
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
HK Government, E-Tender Box (ETB)
Tenders Info, Tenders in Hong Kong
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Invest in HK
- Doing Business Guides
Deloitte's "International Tax and Business Guide" on Hong Kong
Hong Kong Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Hong Kong SAR!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: