Trade Compliance in Hong Kong SAR

Overview by
International Conventions
Member of World Trade Organisation
Main International Economic Cooperation
Member of APEC. Hong Kong has signed a free trade agreement (CEPA) with New Zealand.
Party of the ATA Convention on Temporary Admissions and Use of the Carnets

As a Reminder, the ATA is a System Allowing the Free Movement of Goods Across Frontiers and Their Temporary Admission Into a Customs Territory With Relief From Duties and Taxes. The Goods Are Covered By a Single Document Known as the ATA Carnet That is Secured By an International Guarantee System.
Look Up the Other Member Countries And Read the Web Pages of the World Customs Organization Devoted to the ATA Carnet.
Party of the TIR Convention

As a Reminder, the TIR Convention and its Transit Regime Contribute to the Facilitation of International Transport, Especially International Road Transport, Not Only in Europe and the Middle East, But Also in Other Parts of the World, Such as Africa and Latin America.
The UNCTAD Website Allows You to Read the TIR Convention, See the List of Member Countries And to Find Further Information.
Accompanying Documents For Imports
For almost all of its imports, Hong Kong requires only a commercial import declaration within 14 days of the shipment. If these goods are imported constantly and regularly from the same country and do not have a value of more than EUR 100, then by special arrangement it is possible to make a monthly declaration.


The commercial declaration is not needed and it is not necessary to inform the authorities beforehand for some products, like samples or aircraft parts meant for maintenance. The goods shipped to Hong Kong should be accompanied by the following documents needed for imports :
- Bill of lading, Certificate of origin, Commercial invoice, Import license, Insurance certificate
- Packing list,Pre-shipment Inspection, Proforma Invoice
- Shipping Company's certificate
- Export declaration of the shipper (visit the Internet site of Census, section III, for further details on EEI, The Electronic Export Information)
- No requirement or cost for the legalisation of documents if needed.

Free Zones
Hong Kong Port
For Further Information
HK Trade Development Council
Trade and Industry Department
Government of Hong Kong
Non Tariff Barriers
Inspite of the retrocession of Hong Kong to China on 1st July 1997, the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong (HKSAR) has maintained its customs regulation. Thus, the territory of Hong Kong keeps its free port status and remains a customs area separate from the rest of China, preserving its participation in international bodies and its international trade agreements.


Import licenses are needed for the following products :
- Some chemical products defined in the Chemical Products Control Ordinance. The requests for licence should be made at Controlled Chemicals Group of the Customs and Excise Department.
- Pharmaceutical Products: licenses should be requested from Trade licensing Branch Non-Textiles Licensing Section of the Trade Department.
- Live Animals: a prior licence should be requested from Licensing Unit of Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.
- Plants are also subjected to a licence issued by the Plant and pesticides Regulatory Division of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.
- Textiles: if they are not registered with the Textile Traders Registration Scheme, the importers should make a request for licence at Non-Restrained Textiles, Trade Department.
- "Reserved Commodities" (rice, frozen meat, frozen poultry): import licences issued by Reserved Commodities Unit of Trade Department, are only issued to companies registered with the Trade Department. In addition, imported goods should be accompanied by a health certificate issued by the country of origin.
- Meat and Poultry: import should be authorised by the Hygiene Division of the Department of Health.
- Telecommunication equipments are also subjected to control of Inspection and Licensing Subsection of the Office of the Telecommunications Authority.
- Import of vehicles.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Tobacco.
- Petroleum products.
Licences for these 4 categories are obtained from the Customs and Excise Department.

Assessment of Commercial Policy
The WTO pages dedicated to Hong Kong
Barriers of European Union
Health and phytosanitary barriers, according to the European Union.
Barriers registered by United States
Find more on about Trade Policy in Hong Kong.

Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.

Read more See less
Experts Views (1)
Post your content


Post content about Trade Compliance in Hong Kong SAR and you will be listed here to receive requests for offers.

Contact our expert contributor
  • Foreign Agricultural Service

    Part of USDA, the United States