Sourcing in Hong Kong SAR
- Type of Production
- The industry contributes around 9% of the GDP. Textiles and electronic components industries are the most important.
The electronics industry is also immature because of lack of governmental support contrary to Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea. But a revival of interest in high-tech activities in the present administration has begun. The authorities want to make HK the potential center for software and information technology industry
- Manufacturers Associations of the Main Industries
- Hong Kong Electronic Industry Association
Hong Kong Textile Council
Hong Kong Environmental Industry Association
Information and Software Industry Association
Type of Manufacturers
- Original Equipment Manufacturers
- These last years, Hong Kong companies have succeded in the OEM segment. They shall face more and more competition from other Asian countries. This is why to remain ahead of competition, they have been directed towards the ODM segment. Some companies are seen developing in fabrication of branded products. According to the year 2000 study of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, 82% of the industrial companies questioned were involved in the OEM manufacturing.
HOng Kong OEMs are present in the watches, clock making and toys sectors.
- Original Design Manufacturers
- According to the year 2000 study of the Hong Kong Trade Development Council, 62% of the industrial companies questioned were involved in ODM fabrication. The lack of intellectual property protection partly prevents ODM development. ODMs in Hong Kong are present in the electronic parts industry.
- Sub-contracting in Hong Kong is specially present in construction, production of electronic components and clothing.
- Useful Resources
- Federation of Industries of Hong Kong
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Hong Kong’s love of seafood is reflected in the statistics. Hong Kong’s market for seafood was valued at $2.68 billion in 2009.
Foreign Agricultural Service on 30 Nov 2010 related to Sourcing in Hong Kong SAR
Since the global financial crisis hit last fall, Hong Kong’s economy remained strong and became the 4th largest market for U.S. F&B exports. U.S. exports of high value food products to Hong Kong are expected to grow by 15% and top the US$1.4 billion mark in 2009, the largest growth among all U.S. export...
Foreign Agricultural Service on 10 Mar 2010 related to Sourcing in Hong Kong SAR
Part of USDA, the United StatesThe Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) works to improve foreign market...