Domestic Transportation in Hong Kong SAR
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
- The best mode of transfort for moving in Hong Kong is a taxi for short distances. Taxis are present everywhere in the most frequented blocks and a trip is relatively less expensive. Number of drivers understand English. Nevertheless it is wise to equip yourself with the address of your destination in Chinese characters. Consult the website Hong Kong tourism Board for further precautions.
- Maps of Urban Networks
On line UT Library
- Urban Transport Agencies
Hong Kong Tramway Limited
New World First Ferry Services Ltd
The Hong Kong and Kowloon Ferry Ltd
- Find an Itinerary
- Taxi Companies
Transport Department of the Government of Hong-Kong
Forum of taxi associations on the website of the Transport Department
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Hong Kong - Chek Lap Kok (HKG)||34 km / 21 miles||HKD 340 / 30-60 min||HKD 48 / 70-110 min||HKD 100 / 23 min||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- Excellent. Trains are punctual and well maintained (mainly the commuter trains towards the New Territories and a line towards Guangzhou and China). The interior lines linking Hong Kong with the rest of China are underdeveloped and have the character of international connections as per the formal plans to be accomplished. The rechargeable Octopus payment card (Bat Dat Toong in Cantonese) is usable in all the public transports of Hong Kong, except for taxis. Moreover, many small shops, accept it as a method of payment. It can be bought and recharges at the counters of the MTR stations. There are Octopus cards for tourists also which include the trip from the airport and an unlimited number of trips on the MTR lines. To buy train tickets, visit the website de MTR Light Rail or the website
- Rail Companies
MTR Light Rail
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Hong Kong Express Airways Limited||Low cost||Yes||Yes|
|Oasis Airlines||Low cost||No||Yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- Driving is on the left. The network is of good quality and is well maintained even if the signalling often leaves a lot to be desired. All the sign boards are in English. Fuel supply is comfortable.
- Driver's License
For foreigners there are three possibilities for driving :
(a) obtain a driving license without passing a test;
(b) obtain a temporary driving license;
(c) driving with a foreign driving license is authorised if the person travels to Hong Kong for less than 12 months.
For the procedures for obtaining, visit the webite Transport Department.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
- Minimum age required in 18 yrs.
- Rental Agencies
Advance Car rental
- Road Maps
- Find an Itinerary
- Traffic Conditions Online
Real time traffic conditions
- Parking Facilities
- Hong Kong has few parking places, which are less frequented due to their high price.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- 18 years
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Speed Limits
- Many of the highways in Hong Kong such as Island Eastern Corridor and East Kowloon Corridor are limited to 80 km/h and in case of dense traffic 70 km/h. On the Toloet West Kowloon highway, the speed is limited to 100 km/h , and on North Lantau Highway it is limited to 110 km/h,the highest speed limit in Hong Kong.
- Safety Belts
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- 0.05%. Up to three years prison sentence for driving in an intoxicated state.
- National Roads Organizations
The Hong Kong Road Safety Association (HKRSA)
Road Safety Council
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in Hong Kong SAR!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: