Industrial Standards in India
- National Standards Organizations
Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS) - Earlier called as Indian Standards Institute (ISI)
- Integration in the International Standards Network
- The BIS is a founder member of the
International Standard organization (ISO) and of the
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
For more details consult www.bis.org.in.
- Obligation to Use Standards
- Although the standards proposed by the BIS are “voluntary “ in nature and are not at all mandatory, the Government of India has enforced mandatory certification on various products.
For the list of items brought under mandatory certification please consult the website of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Classification of Standards
- The symbol of the standard is ISI. Every ISI mark has a fixed format that carries the Indian Standard number on top of the mark based on the type of product.
- Assessment of the System of Standardization
- Certification by the BIS is highly regarded in India, and it can increase the sales potential in this market.
Click here for ?Procedure for Granting BIS Certification'
- Online Consultation of Standards
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
- Certification Organizations
Quality Council of India
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) published new guidelines related to food import clearance process by FSSAI’s Authorized Officers.
Foreign Agricultural Service on 7 Feb 2013 related to Industrial Standards in India
Part of USDA, the United StatesThe Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) works to improve foreign market...