Domestic Transportation in India
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
Taxis and auto-rickshaws are available in large cities and fares are charged by the kilometer.
Most of the drivers can understand English, though not all can speak English.
A metro system is operational in Kolkata.
A metro system was opened in Delhi in 2004. It is spreading its network to reach sub-urban districts like NOIDA, Gurgoan and Faridabad.
- Maps of Urban Networks
Map of Kolkata Metro available on the site of Metro Railways Kolkata
Map of Delhi Metro available on the site of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
- Urban Transport Agencies
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation
Metro Railways Kolkata
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Mumbai - Chhatrapati Shivaji Intl (BOM)||37 km / 23 miles||INR 475||INR 50-60 / 60-90 min||-||Available|
|Calcutta - Dum Dum (CCU)||17 km / 11 miles||INR 135-200 / 40-120 min||INR 8||INR 2-6||Available|
|Delhi - Indira Gandhi Intl (DEL)||15 km / 9 miles||INR 220 / 30-60 min||INR 50||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
Air routes connects over 70 cities.
There are also ships from Kolkata (Calcutta) and Chennai (Madras) to Port Blair in the Andaman Islands( Shipping Corporation of India). and from Kochi and Calicut to the Lakshadweep Islands.
There is a catamaran service from Mumbai (Bombay) to Goa.
The Indian internal railway system covers much of the country and is relatively inexpensive.
An extensive network of bus services connects all parts of the country.
A large number of chauffeur-driven tourist cars are available in the main tourist centers.
- Rail Companies
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
One must be very cautious when driving because of the bad condition of the roads and chaotic character of the traffic.
Driving around India is not recommended. Moreover self-drive cars are not generally available in the country. It is recommended to have a licensed and experienced local driver who has a "feel" for local roads and driving conditions.
The third party insurance liability is compulsory.
- Driver's License
- One must have either a valid Indian drivers? license or a valid international drivers? license. India recognizes international driving permits.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
- 18. An international driving license is required.
- Rental Agencies
Taxi Rental India
- Tolls or Taxes
- The concept of toll roads is catching up in India. Recently built motorways are subject to tolls and the rates are quite reasonable.
- Road Maps
Maps of India
- Find an Itinerary
Make my trip
- Parking Facilities
- Parking is a paid service and facilities are available at all public places like airports, railway stations, shopping centers, etc.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Speed Limits
- Motorcycles 50 km/h, trucks and buses 65 km/h. Cars 80 km/h in Maharashtra, 50-60 km/h in New Delhi, and none at all in Uttar Pradesh.
- Safety Belts
- Obligatory in all major cities.
- Permitted Amount of Alcohol in the Blood
- 30 mg/deciliter
- National Roads Organizations
National Highways Authority of India
Department of Road Transport and Highways
Indian Driving Schools
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in India!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: