Business Travel in Indonesia
- Passport and Visa Service
Visa Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Diplomatic Representations
List of Indonesian embassies and diplomatic representation abroad
Organizing Your Trip
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
- To travel around Jakarta, taxis give the most comfortable service. The Blue Bird and Silver Bird companies are the most recommended ones.
- Maps of Urban Networks
UT Library on line
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Jakarta Soekarno - Hatta Intl (CGK)||30 km / 18 miles||IDR 150.000 / 45 min||IDR 15.000 / 30 min.||-||Available|
|Bandung (BDO)||4 km / 2 miles||IDR 65 000||-||-||-|
|Surabaya (SUB)||16 km / 10 miles||IDR 80 000||IDR 8000.||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
- Indonesia is well served by airlines. Buses, and in Java the train, are also practical.
- Rail Companies
Website of PT Kereta Api
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Adam Air||Low cost||Yes|
|Batavia air||Low cost||Yes|
|Indonesia Air Asia||Low cost||Yes|
|Lion Air||Low cost||Yes|
|Sriwijaya Air||Low cost||Yes|
|Wings Air||Low cost||Yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- The roads and highways are jammed but they are generally in good condition. In the event of an accident with corporal damage, the police must be called. A car insurance is not compulsory, but it is better to subscribe to an insurance policy covering your liability as much as someone else's. It is strongly recommended that you hire a car with driver.
- Road Maps
Maps of the main cities
- Find an Itinerary
Link to detailed maps of the Indonesian provinces
Different Forms of Tourism
- Old Batavia (Kota), Taman Fatahillah, and the chicken market bridge, the old port of Sunda Kelapa; Glodok, the district given to the Chinese in 1741; Lapangan Banteng Square and its superb colonial architecture; the Wayang Museum.
The Daerah Istimewa of Jogjakarta and the sultan's palace.
- The temples, the National Museum, the cultural and artistic communities of Yogyakarta and Ubud, the shadow theater wayang, the traditional gamelan orchestra, the Balinese dances.
- Terraced rice fields (Bali), volcanoes (Java, Lombok), beaches (Bali, Nusa Tenggara), forest (Kalimantan), the flora and fauna of Sumatra.
- Hindu temples (Prambanan, and many temples in Bali), Buddhist temples (Borobudur)
- Hot springs at Ciater (Java)
- As Indonesia is an archipelago, there are very many beaches. In Bali we can mention Lovina Beach, Jimbaran, Kuta.
- Winter Sports
- Outdoor Activities
- Jet ski, diving, windsurfing, surfing, hiking
- Among others, the factory outlets of Bandung, and the crafts of Bali
|Top Highlights of the Capital City|
|Port of Sunda Kelapa|
|Taman Mini Indonesia Indah|
|Chicken market bridge|
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|Balinese dance show|
|Terraced rice fields in Bali|
- Tourism Organizations
Indonesian Tourism Board
Health and Safety
- Health Precautions
- A certificate of vaccination against yellow fever is required for passengers coming from affected areas. There is a risk of malaria everywhere, except in Jakarta, large cities and the main tourist resorts of Java and Bali.
Indonesia is experiencing a fresh outbreak of dengue fever, which can be hemorrhagic. You must take measures against traveler's diarrhoea. Drinking water must be boiled or filtered.
Bathing in fresh water can expose you to the risk of bilharziosis (or schistosomiasis) found on the western bank of Lake Lindu (Sulawesi).
Avoid all contact with poultry and birds because of the epidemic of avian flu.
- International Hospitals
The medical structures are lacking in quality. Some establishments in Jakarta are recognized as being of good quality and are used by expats:SOS International, Medikaloka, Rumah Sakit Pondok Indah,Global Assistance & Healthcare.
- For Further Information on Sanitary Conditions
Website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
- For Further Information on Safety Conditions
Advice to travellers on the website of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs
|Ambulance for road accidents||118|
Time Difference and Climate
- Time and Time Difference
- It is %T:%M %A In Jakarta (GMT+7)
It is %T:%M %A In Denpasar (GTM+8)
It is %T:%M %A In Jayapura (GTM+9)
- Summer Time Period
Map of the Time Zone
- Type of Climate
- The climate is equatorial, hot and very humid all year. The temperature varies between 24° and 34° C and the rate of humidity reaches 80%. There is a dry season (from April to October) and a rainy season (from November to April).
- For Further Information
Meteorological and geophysical center
Average Annual Temperatures and Rainfall
- Food Specialties
- Pork and buffalo grilled in bamboo pipes and basted with tuak (palm alcohol) in Sulawesi. Kalimantan shrimp, ayam goreng (fried rice and chicken), bakmi (rice noodles), babur ayam (a usually sweet porridge, made of chicken, sticky black rice or mung beans), gado-gado (steamed bean sprouts with vegetables and a spicy peanut sauce), krupuk (a preparation based on shrimp and manioc flour, sliced and fried), nasi goreng (fried rice with vegetables or meat), satay (meat on skewers with peanut sauce).
- Beers brewed locally ( Angker and Bintang), rice wine brem, lassi, a drink of Indian origin based on yoghurt, coffee prepared "Turkish style", tea (with jasmine, ginger...), fresh fruit juice, and green sands, a very refreshing fizzy drink made with apple and lemon.
- Dietary Restrictions
- Culinary restrictions vary with the religion practised.
- Domestic Currency
- Indonesian Rupiah
- ISO Code
- To Obtain Domestic Currency
- The local currency is the Indonesian rupee (IDR).
- Possible Means of Payment
- You can pay in cash (the most usual method of payment), and by debit card (the existing interbank networks are: ALTO, BERSAMA, CAKRA, PRIMA, LINK, CIRRUS, PLUS, VISA, and MASTERCARD).
Cheques and bills of exchange are little used.
Transfers between accounts at the same bank or at different banks are used a lot. For a transfer or international transfer, payment by SWIFT is usually used.
- Official Language
- Indonesian (bahasa Indonesia)
- Other Languages Spoken
- There are more than 660 languages. The most important ones are Javanese (70 million), Sundanese (20 million), Madurese (9 million) and Malay (15 million). English is also spoken.
- Business Language
- Getting Some Knowledge
- Different websites which give an introduction to Indonesian are listed on the website Living in Indonesia.
- Free Translation Tools
Freedict.com : Free English-Indonesian dictionary
Indonesian Language Resources : Useful links for Indonesian-English translations
- To Find an Accommodation
Site Indo.com, title "budget hotels"
Site Indo.com, title "budget hotels"
Accor group website
Site Asiahotels, Indonesia
- To Find an Apartment
Rumah Pro, real estate agency for buying and renting
Rumah 4 Sale agency
Website for expats
Indonesian website of adverts for rental and sale of appartments and houses
- To Find a Job
JobDB, Asia-Pacific recruitment website
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
How can we anticipate Indonesian cultural business differences and work effectively with Indonesians?
GTP - Global Training Partners Singapore on 18 Feb 2014 related to Business Travel in Indonesia
GTP Indonesia Cultural Training: Managing Cultural Differences In Indonesia
GTP - Global Training Partners Singapore on 6 Jul 2015 related to Business Travel in Indonesia
Cross Cultural Intercultural Training Singapore
U.S. Department Of Commerce, Indonesia