Political Conditions in Ireland
- Type of State
- Ireland is a sovereign, independent, democratic state with a parliamentary system of government. The president, who serves as head of state in a largely ceremonial role, is elected for a 7-year term and can be re-elected only once. There is universal suffrage for those over 18.
- Executive Power
- President, chief of state and Prime Minister (Taoiseach), head of government.
- Legislative Power
- Bicameral national Parliament (Oireachtas): House of Representatives (Dail) and Senate (Seanad).
- Main Political Parties
- Fianna Fail: represents the tradition that rejected the treaty because the present six counties of Northern Ireland were excluded from the outset.
- Fine Gael: Fine Gael represents the tradition that accepted the treaty as a stepping-stone to an eventual republic of the whole island.
- Others: Labor, Progressive Democrats, Green Party, Sinn Fein.
- Current Political Leaders
President: Mary McAleese, since November 1997, reelected in October 2004 (Fianna Fail)
Prime Minister: Enda KENNY (since 9 March 2011)
- Next Election Dates
Presidential elections: October 2011
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 3 places up compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Ireland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Irish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: