Law and Compliance in Ireland
- General Observation
- You must define precisely the seller's obligations and the methods of quality control. However the parties may not, by choice of a different legal system, avoid the application of the mandatory rules of the country that would otherwise apply to the situation.
- Law Applicable to the Contract
Different types of contracts are possible: agency agreements and distribution agreements. Many agency agreements are covered by the EC (Commercial Agents) Regulations 1994. In the case of distribution, the Sale of Goods Act 1980 imposes obligations on a supplier subject to the terms of the contract.
The law applicable to Contractual Obligations Act, 1991 gave effect to the Convention formulated in Rome in 1980.
- Advisable Incoterms
- It's preferable to choose an incoterm FOB or CIF. Avoid EXW, if you don't want to have to take care of the transport.
- Language of Domestic Contract
- Other Laws Which Can Be Used in Domestic Contracts
- English law and decisions are often cited.
Legal Framework of Business
Equity of Judgments
- Independence of Justice
- The judiciary is independent.
- Equal Treatment of Nationals and Foreigners
- The Language of Justice
- English and Gaelic.
- Recourse to an Interpreter
- Legal Similarities
- Brehon Law
- Constitution of 1937
- The European Communities Act, 1972 (provides that Treaties of the European Union are part of Irish law, along with directly effective measures adopted under those treaties)
- Acts of the Oireachtas
- Statutory instruments
All the Irish sources of law are available on the website of The Irish statute book
The Different Legal Codes
|Constitutional law||The Irish Constitution was enacted by a popular plebiscite held on 1 July 1937. The Constitution is the corner-stone of the Irish legal system and is held to be the source of power exercised by the legislative, judicial and executive branches of government.|
|Case law||The Irish courts are bound by the doctrine of Stare decisis: judges are obliged to obey the set-up precedents established by prior decisions|
|The European Communities Act, 1972||Provides that Treaties of the European Union are part of Irish law, along with directly effective measures adopted under those treaties.|
|International law||Ireland is a dualist state and treaties are not part of its domestic law unless incorporated by the Oireachtas. An example of incorporation is the Refugee Act 1996.|
Find Legal Experts in Ireland on GlobalTrade.net.
|Supreme Court||It's a court of final appeal. It ensures compliance with the Irish Constitution by governmental bodies and private citizens.|
|High Court||Deals at first instance with the most serious and important civil and criminal cases, acts as a court of appeal for civil cases in the Circuit Court.|
|Special Criminal Court||It's a juryless criminal court for terrorist and organized crime cases.|
- Courts Service
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Law and Compliance in Ireland!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Irish companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: