Investment Opportunities in Israel
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Israel
- Israel has signed bilateral agreements with 37 countries.
To see the list of the countries click here.
To view the agreements, click here.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICSID , International Center for settlement of Investment Disputes
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- Israel is a signatory of the MIGA Convention.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Israel||Middle East & North Africa||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||7.0||6.3||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||9.0||4.6||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||9.0||3.4||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||8.3||4.8||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- There are no restrictions on foreign investments except in the industry sectors of defence and telecommunications.
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Any settlement concerning mergers and acquisitions or takeovers which differ from these that Israelis should follow .
- Obligation to Declare
- Investment in Israel in neither subjected to authorisation nor registration except if the company wants to gain from certain advantages.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Purchase of buildings and land is free.
- Risk of Expropriation
- There are very little risk of expropriation. In case of expropriation, the company will benefit from complete and non-arbitrary compensations.
- Forms of Aid
- Assistance is going to depend on the location of the investment and the nature of the project, amount of investment and the degree of foreign participation. This will be for financial assistance, financial incentives, grants, depreciation on diminishing values or loan guarantees.
- Privileged Domains
- Research and development, industry, tourism, employment generation, jobs for emigrants and training.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- The first zone constitutes the North of country (the most favored), Galilee, Golan, Jerusalem (for high technology industries),Beer Sheva, south of Neguev and Eilat. The second consists of Jerusalem (for all other industries), St Jean d'Acre, Kyriat Malachi, Kyriat Gat and Yokneam. The last covers the coastal plain and the center of the country.
- Free Zones
- Eilat in the country's south.
- Organizations Which Finance
- Israel Investment Center (IIC)
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Value added sectors: high-tech, aeronautics, electronics, telecommunications, information technology, biotechnologies, etc.
Security;: biometry, surveillance and protection.
- High Potential Sectors
Chemical industry, agro-technologies, semi-conductor industry, communication, environment, biotechnologies, security;.
- Privatization Programs
- Privatization program for ports and banks.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Israeli Government, Tenders
Tenders Info, Tenders in Israel
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
- Sectors in Decline
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Ministry of Industry and Trade
Israel's Investment Promotion Center
- Other Useful Resources
Business Opportunities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Doing Business Guides
The Leximundi guide « Doing Business » in Israel
Israel Investment climate - Buy USA
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
U.S. Department Of Commerce, Israel