Sightseeing in Italy
Tourism and Culture
Different Forms of Tourism
Italy is famous worldwide for its many tourist sites.
A great number of the most well-known and visited historical monuments are in Rome, among them: the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain and the Vatican.
Other cities have many visitors, such as, for example, Venice and its famous canals, Florence and its Uffizi gallery, Pisa and its Tower.
In Italy, you can walk around very typical historical centers such as those of Rome, Naples or Florence and you can also visit the towns of Tuscany and Umbria. The Reggia de Caserta (Palace of Caserta), the Villa d'Este, Villa Adriana, the Necropolises of the Etruscans are also very well know.
Night life in Italy caters for all tastes: Opera and theater, as well as many bars, discotheques and night clubs.
- The places of natural beauty popular with tourists include the Aeolian islands, the island of Asinara, the Maddalena archipelago and the Strait of Bonifacio, the Cascades of the Marmore, the vineyards of Langhe, Monferrato and Valtellina. Mount Etna in Sicily is one of the biggest volcanos in the world.
- The heart of Italian religion is the Vatican and Rome with its churches and basilicas.
- Italy has numerous spas, some of which were already famous in Antiquity. The biggest and best equipped spa and therapeutic resorts in Italy are Abano Terme and Montegrotto Terme (Veneto), Acqui Terme (Piedmont), Chianciano and Montecatini Terme (Tuscany), Fiuggi (Lazio), Porretta Terme and Salsomaggiore Terme (Emilia-Romagna), Sciacca (Sicily) and Sirmione (Lombardy).
- Italy has countless beautiful beaches: in all the islands, Liguria, Tuscany, Puglia and Sicily.
- Winter Sports
- The Alps make up Italy's northern border and the Apennine chain runs the whole length of the country: that is enough to highlight its vocation as a mountain holiday destination, ideal in winter for those who love snow and winter sports. For further information, consult the Skiinfo website.
- Outdoor Activities
- In Italy golf is played quite a lot. Other available outdoor activities are climbing, sailing and trekking.
- Many Italian products are recognized all over the world for their class and high quality; some are made by craftsmen, at attractive prices. Florence, Milan and Rome are the fashion centers. Some places are known for their products: Como (Lombardy) for silk, Prato (Tuscany) for textiles, Empoli (Tuscany) for the production of bottles and glasses in green glass, Deruta (Umbria) and Faenza (Emilia-Romagna) for pottery, Carrara (Tuscany) for marble, Torre Annunziata (Campania) and Alghero (Sardinia) for coral crafts, Cremona (Lombardy) for violins, Castelfidardo (Marche) for accordeons, guitars and organs, Valenza (Piedmont) for goldsmiths, Vietri sul Mare (Campania) for ceramic tiles and Ravenna (Emilia-Romagna) for mosaics.
|Top Highlights of the Country|
|The canals of Venice|
|The Leaning Tower of Pisa|
|The Sistine Chapel|
|Trulli (stone dwellings)|
|San Giuliano Etruscan Tomb|
|Palace of Caserta|
|Cinque terre coastal villages|
|Abbruzzo National Park|
Individual and Civic Freedoms
- Political Freedom
- Civil Liberty
- Freedom of the Press
World Ranking of Freedom of the Press According to "Reporters sans Frontières", 2009 report : 49/175
Evolution: 5 places down compared to 2008
- For Further Information, Consult Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2009, Reporters Without Borders
- Free Access to the Internet
- Freedom of Assembly
- Quite widespread
- Rule of Law
- Not wholly embraced.
- Personal Autonomy and Individual Rights
- Women's Condition
- Women have the same rights at the legal level but there is still discrimination at work.
- For Further Information
Consult the Freedom House website
- Degree of Freedom
- Religious freedom is guaranteed by the Constitution. A Concordat revised by the Vatican in 1984 declared Italy to be a secular state.
- Catholics 83.4%, No religion 16.1%, Others 0.5%.
- Role of Religion in Society
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Sightseeing in Italy!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Italian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: