Industrial Standards in Japan
Bankruptcy Law (0) , Contracts (0) , Corporate Law (0) , Employment Law (0) , Environmental Regulations (0) , Export Compliance (0) , Import Compliance (0) , Industrial Standards (1) , Intellectual Property (0) , International Legal Agreements (0) , Justice System (0) , Marketing Regulations (4) , Trade Compliance (2)
Overview by Globlatrade.net:
- National Standards Organizations
The Japanese Industrial Standards Committee (JISC) depending on the METI (the Ministry of economy, trade and industry)
The Japanese Agricultural Standards (JAS)
- Integration in the International Standards Network
- The JISC is a member of:
- The International Standard organization (ISO);
- The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC);
- The APEC/SCSC, Sub Committee of Standards and Conformance of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation;
- The ASEM/TFAP/SCA, Trade Facilitation Action Plan/Standards and Conformity Assessment of the Asia-European meeting;
- The Pacific Area Standards Congress.
- Obligation to Use Standards
- The standards proposed by the JAS are exclusively voluntary. They concern 600 different industrial products and more than 8500 standards.
Japanese standards are defined in a wide variety of legislative texts. Therefore it is sometimes difficult to master all the requirements.
Click here, for a summary of the standards which apply:
- to consumer goods;
- to industrial products;
- to agricultural and fishery products;
- to agricultural products controlled by the Food Sanitation Law .
- Classification of Standards
- JIS + 1 letter showing the technical area + 4-digit number showing the rank in the JIS division.
- Assessment of the System of Standardization
- Respect of voluntary standardization is highly regarded in Japan; it can increase sales potential on the market and the acceptance of the product by consumers.
- Online Consultation of Standards
- The publication of standards is entrusted to the JSA (Japanese Standards Association) which is the “publishing house” of the JISC. The JSA website gives access to the JISC standards.
- Certification Organizations
Japan Accreditation System for Product Certification Bodies (JASC)
Japan Accreditation Board for Conformity Assessment (JAB)
International Accreditation Japan (IA Japan)
- Associations of Standards Users
Member of JISC (Japanese Industrial Standards Committee)
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
Read more See less
Support for your business
Contact our expert contributor
U.S. Department of Commerce, Japan