Employees in Japan
- Opening Hours
- Legal Weekly Duration
- 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week
But employees frequently work 50 or 60 hours a week. Compared with the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany, Japanese employees work the most (in hours worked in industry).
It is also the country with the least annual vacation (weekly rest day and paid holidays included).
- Maximum Duration
- 10 hours per day and 52 hours per week
- Night Hours
- 10 pm until 5 am
- Working Rest Day
- According to the labor standard law, employees should have one day off for every week of work, or alternatively, 4 days off for every 4 weeks of work.
There is no particular law establishing certain days of the week as days off or making national holidays days off. This is generally determined by the company. In general, Saturday and Sunday are not working days, but this is not the case in all companies.
- Paid Annual Vacation
- Only for employees who have been employed more than six months and showed up for work more than 80% of the time.
10-20 days of annual paid vacation per year, depending on how long one has worked.
- Retirement Age
- Age 65 with a minimum of 25 years of contributions. An early pension is payable between ages 60 and 64
- Child Labor and Minimum Age For Employment
- 15 years
- Informal Labor Market
- Because of the flexible regulation of the labor market, informal labor is not developped.
The Cost of Labor
- Minimum Wage
- There are three types of minimum wage:
- Local minimum wage
- Local industry-specific minimum wage- national industry
- Specific minimum wage.
The prefectures set the amount of local minimum wages. Minimum wages (general and industry-specific) set by the prefectures are around JPY 668 per hour.
- Average Wage
- Average annual gross earnings in Japon is JPY 2,899,413 (USD 30,000).
- Other Forms of Pay
- Pay For Overtime
- 25% more than regular wages
- Pay For Rest Days Worked
- 35% more than regular wages
- Pay For Night Hours
- 25% more than regular wages
- Pay For Overtime at Night
- 50% more than regular wages
Social Security Costs
- The Areas Covered
Medical insurance (government-managed health insurance) 7.43% (standard salary monthly portion 8.5%, bonus portion 0.8%)
Pension insurance (employees’ pension) 13.58% (standard salary monthly portion 17.35%, bonus portion 1%)
Unemployment insurance 1.15%
Contributions Paid By the Employer: 10.89%
Contributions Paid By the Employee: 11.27%
- Competent Organization
Social Insurance Agency
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Employees in Japan!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: