Domestic Transportation in Lebanon
Means of Transport Recommended in Town
Buses and taxis are the two main means of transport used in Beirut.
Buses are cheap and can be recognised by their colours: white and red. However, they are not regular and there are few of them. There is no existing route map and their itinerary is on a sign stuck to the buses' rear window.
Taxis can be recognised by their red number plates and the yellow light on their roof. Drivers understand French better than the English language however it is advised to show an address written on a piece of paper in Arabic. As they have no meters you have to negotiate the fare before you get in. There is a taxi service which can be shared by 5 people, the Lebanese call it "Services".
- Maps of Urban Networks
UT Library on line
- Urban Transport Agencies
Lebanon Commuting Company
Railway and Public Transportation Authority
- Find an Itinerary
- Taxi Companies
Transportation From Airport to City Centre:
|Beirut - Rafic Hariri Intl (BEY)||8 km / 5 miles||LBP 30 000 - USD 20||USD 1||-||Available|
Means of Transport Recommended in the Rest of the Country
Lebanon is a small country. Three hours are enough to cross it from end to end. To get around, there are bus lines leaving from the bus station in Beirut (Charles Helou stop). The most comfortable bus line is Adhab. From the Cola roundabout, you can catch a bus to Saida, Chtaura, Masna and Damas.
Shared taxis can also serve all cities in the country. To go to the South you may take them from the Cola roundabout. For Northern cities, you should go to the Dora roundabout.
|Name||Type||Domestic Flights||International Flights|
|Middle East Airlines||Major||No||Yes|
You Can Consult the List of Airlines Banned Within the EU. Look Also at the rating of the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Traveling By Yourself
- Roads are generally in good condition. Petrol stations are easy to find. In the event of an accident, it is advised to stay with the vehicle and call the company representative that insures the vehicle. If the car comes from abroad, you may ask the concerned insurance company for a local correspondent in order to get contact details of their company representative.
- Driver's License
- An International Drivers Licence is required to drive in Lebanon.
- Conditions For Renting a Vehicle
- You are required to have been driving for 2 years and be at least 23 or 25 years old depending on the category of the car. The fares are about 35 USD per day.
- Rental Agencies
Formula Rent a Car
- Road Maps
Road map of Lebanon
Lebanon Tourism Office
- Find an Itinerary
Itineraries in Lebanon
- Parking Facilities
- There are many parking facilities in the capital. Meanwhile, the road act is rarely respected and Lebanese tend to double or even triple park.
Rules of the Road
- Minimum Driving Age
- 18 years old.
- Side of the Road For Driving
- Right side.
- Speed Limits
- No speed limit.
- Safety Belts
- The seat belt is compulsory for the driver and the front passengers. The offenders are liable for a 25,000 to 100,000 Lebanese Pound fine (17 to 67 EUR) and 10 days in prison.
- National Roads Organizations
Ministry of Public Works & Transport
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Domestic Transportation in Lebanon!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: