Employees in Malaysia
- Opening Hours
- Legal Weekly Duration
- 48 hours a week.
- Maximum Duration
- Working hours must not be over 9 hours a day and 48 hours a week.
- Night Hours
- Between 10 pm and 5 am (prohibited for women)
- Working Rest Day
- One rest day a week is laid down by the law.
- Paid Annual Vacation
- 8 days for less than two years' length of service, 12 days for two to five years' length of service, and 16 days for more than five years' length of service.
- Retirement Age
- There is no legal age for retirement in the private sector even if the EPF (Employment Provident Fund) considers people are eligible from 55 for men and 50 for women.
- Child Labor and Minimum Age For Employment
- Children under 14 must not work between 8 pm and 7 am the following day; they must not work more than 3 consecutive hours without a 30 minute break; they must not work more than 6 hours a day, and if they go to school, the total time must not be more than 7 hours, time spent at school included.
- Informal Labor Market
- The informal sector allows a large part of the population to survive. Malaysia has a score of 3/5 according to the index of economic freedom linked to the informal market (Heritage Foundation).
The Cost of Labor
- Minimum Wage
- No legally mandated national minimum wage
- Average Wage
- USD 5,751 per year (women)
USD 15,861 per year (men)
- Other Forms of Pay
- Pay For Overtime
- Paid one and a half times the normal rate of remuneration.
- Pay For Rest Days Worked
- Paid twice the normal rate of remuneration (or three times for working on a public holiday).
Social Security Costs
- The Areas Covered
- Accident at work, disability.
Contributions Paid By the Employer: 1.5 %.
Contributions Paid By the Employee: 0.5 %.
- Competent Organization
Social Security Organisation (SOCSO)
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Employees in Malaysia!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: