Reaching the Consumer in Malaysia
- Growing Sectors
- Foodstuffs and drinks, transport, catering, the hotel industry.
- Consumer Behavior
- Consumers are more aware of the price than the prestige or quality of a brand.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
- Although the GNP per capita is only 6 146 USD, the purchasing power of the Malays is one of the highest in Asia, and shopping is a favorite consumer pastime.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- Households use consumer credit enormously; in this field, the level of the country can be compared to Korea, Hong-Kong and Singapore.
- Consumers Associations
Fomca , Federation of Malaysian Consumer Associations
Era Consumer Malaysia
Media in Which to Advertise
- Television is a very effective means of reaching a wide audience.
- The daily press is an effective means of advertising.
New Straits Times
Sin Chew Pit Poh
Nanyang Siang Pau
- Advertising sent out by post can be effective if the addressees are well targeted and the products accessible.
- In Transportation Venues
- Posters, advertising streamers, stickers on buses, and other urban media are effective for reaching a very wide audience every day.
GogoAds Outdoor Sdn Bhd
- A very wide audience can be reached by radio, but it is not suitable for the promotion of all products.
Klasik Nasional FM
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
- Above all, the part of the population that uses this technology can be reached by Internet, but it is expanding fast.
Pixel Media Asia
- Main Advertising Agencies
A list of the main actors is available on the website of the Association of accredited advertising agents (AAAA)
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
- Advertising for alcoholic drinks and liqueurs is prohibited.
- Advertising for cigarettes, tobacco and other associated accessories is prohibited.
- Advertising for medicines and preventive treatments against illnesses is under the authority of the Ministry of Health, Department of advertising for medicines (KKLIU).
- Other Rules
- For further information about the specific rules governing advertising, see the Code of advertising ethics, and the Malaysian Code on multimedia and communications content.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Advertising must be in Malay, English or Chinese.
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
Communications and Multimedia Commission
Ministry of Information
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
An overview of the main pharmaceutical laws in Malaysia and the relevant governing bodies/regulating authorities in the said industry.
Azmi & Associates on 20 Dec 2013 related to Reaching the Consumer in Malaysia
Corporate Law Firm, Malaysia