Political Conditions in Mexico
- Type of State
- Mexico's official name is Mexican United States. It is a federal republic based on presidential democracy.
- Executive Power
- As established by the Constitution, the Executive power is headed by the President of the United Mexican States.
The President is both head of state and head of government. He is Supreme Commander of the Army Force.
The President is elected by popular vote and cannot be reelected. The presidential term lasts six years.
- Legislative Power
The Mexican legislative power is in the hands of the General Congress which is divided in two chambers: the Deputies and the Senators.
The Chamber of Deputies has 500 members, from which 300 are elected according to the principle of plurality. The remaining 200 are elected through the rule of proportional representation.
The Chamber of Senators applies in the same manner the principle of proportional representation by integration, electing 32 of its 96 members every two years.
- Main Political Parties
Mexico has a multi-party system. There are three major political parties in the country:
- PAN (National Action Party) – a conservative liberal party, to which the actual President of the Republic belongs.
- PRI (Institutional Revolutionary Party) - the oldest political party in the country, it governed for 70 years, it is the center or middle party.
- PRD (Party of the Democratic Revolution)- a left wing socialist party.
- Current Political Leaders
- President : Felipe Calderón Hinojosa elected on July 2, 2006, member of PAN
- Next Election Dates
Presidential: July 2012
Senate: July 2012
Chamber of Deputies: 2012
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 2 places up compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Mexico!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: