Investment Opportunities in Mexico
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By Mexico
- Mexico counts with 24 Promotional and Reciprocal Protection Agreements for the Investments with Different States
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- Some cases have been registered, mainly on the real estate sector on areas of tourism in the state of Yucatan. Consult the dispute settlement proceeding.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICCMEX , International Chamber of Commerce in Mexico
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- Mexico is in process of being accepted.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Mexico||Latin America & Caribbean||United States||Germany|
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||8.0||4.1||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||5.0||5.3||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||5.0||6.0||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||6.0||5.1||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
- Having a majority of capital holdings in a Mexican corporation is legal, except in certain sectors.
- Obligation to Declare
- To find out the total to be declared consult General Direction of Foreign Investments
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
General Direction of Foreign Investment
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
- Foreign investors have a right to a compensation if they are victims of expropriation for public means.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
The fiscal incentives have been eliminated in light of fiscal reforms. In spite of this, the Mexican states compete strongly to attract foreign investments by developing programs to draw industries that allow:
- Reduced prices to purchase real estate.
- Training programs for employees.
- Reductions in payment of taxes.
- Free Zones
- There are two free trade zones in San Luis Potosi. The "maquiladora" (assembly factories) zone as well as the bonded warehouses and bonded zones (in customs) which are free trading posts to perform activities such as manufacturing, repairing, distribution and sales of merchandise.
- Organizations Which Finance
- Nacional Financiera, Banca de Desarrollo, Bancomext.
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Auto parts, machinery, equipment, chemicals and financial and insurance services.
- High Potential Sectors
- Post-sales service for the automotive sector (repairs, maintenance, sales of parts and accessories), electronics, distribution chains, food, beverage and tobacco products, professional technical services specialized and personalized.
- Privatization Programs
- In the real estate sector (particularly for the construction projects of low-cost housing), airports and some refineries.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
Compranet, Public Procurements
Tenders Info, Tenders in Mexico
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
Distribution and transportation of liquefied petroleum gas. Generation, distribution and commercialization of electricity.
For more information, consult the Laws of Foreign Investing.
- Sectors in Decline
- Agriculture and fishing, timber industry, mineral products non metallic, leisure, cultural, recreational and athletic services.
Finding Assistance For Further Information
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in Mexico!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: