Political Conditions in Morocco
- Type of State
- Constitutional Monarchy Kingdom with an elected parliament.
- Executive Power
- Executive power is exercised by the King. He appoints the Prime Minister and members of the Government, directly heads sovereignty fields (Domestic, Foreign affairs, Defense, Religious affairs) and can intervene in the other sectors through Dahir (royal decree).
The Government provides execution of the laws and the administrative apparatus. It is run by the Prime Minister who coordinates its action, passes decrees and submits a program to the Parliament.
- Legislative Power
The Parliament comprises the Chamber of Representatives (325 deputies elected by universal direct suffrage for 5 years) and the Chamber of Counselors (270 members elected by indirect universal suffrage for 9 years).
The Parliament votes the law; any bill must be successively examined by the 2 Houses. It moreover shares the initiative of the laws with the Prime Minister.
- Main Political Parties
Morocco has a multi-party system, the parties are numerous and a single party has no chance of gaining power. The parties must get together to form coalition governments. Among the principal parties of the country, one finds:
- The USFP (Forces of the Popular Socialist Union) - left socialist party,
- The PI (Independence Party) - nationalist party,
- The PJD (Justice and Development Party) - islamic party,
- the RNI (National Rally of Independents) - party of independent candidates.
- Current Political Leaders
King: MOHAMED VI (since July 1999) - hereditary
Prime Minister: Abbas EL FASSI (since September 2007).
- Next Election Dates
- Chamber of Representatives: in 2012
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 5 places down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Partly Free
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Morocco!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: