Investment Opportunities in the Netherlands
Protection of Foreign Investment
- Bilateral Investment Conventions Signed By the Netherlands
- The Netherlands has signed IBOs with a large number of countries. You can consult the list on the UNCTAD's website.
- International Controversies Registered By UNCTAD
- The Netherlands has not been involved in any case of disagreement concerning foreign investment up to now.
- Organizations Offering Their Assistance in Case of Disagreement
ICCWBO , International court of arbitration, International chamber of commerce
WTO , World Trade Organization
- Member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- The Netherlands has been a member since its creation.
Country Comparison For the Protection of Investors
|Index of Transaction Transparency*||4.0||6.0||7.0||5.0|
|Index of Manager’s Responsibility**||4.0||5.2||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Shareholders’ Power***||6.0||6.8||9.0||5.0|
|Index of Investor Protection****||4.7||6.0||8.3||5.0|
Source: Doing Business
Note: *The Greater the Index, the More Transparent the Conditions of Transactions. **The Greater the Index, the More the Manager is Personally Responsible. *** The Greater the Index, the Easier it Will Be For Shareholders to Take Legal Action. **** The Greater the Index, the Higher the Level of Investor Protection.
Procedures Relative to Foreign Investment
- Freedom of Establishment
- Acquisition of Holdings
- A majority holding interest in the capital of a Dutch company is legal. Certain sectors such as telecommunications, banking and insurance require the granting of an authorization.
- Obligation to Declare
- No specific text of law regulates foreign direct investments. Their regime is adjusted the refine applied for national investments.
- Competent Organization For the Declaration
Dutch Ministry of Finance
- Requests For Specific Authorizations
- Not needed.
Office Real Estate and Land Ownership
- Possible Temporary Solutions
Companies are ensured a wide
selection of prime office space to rent or purchase. Over the last few years,
prices have declined to a constant level while total available office space has
increased to 5.8 million square meters at the end of 2004. This positive supply
and demand dynamic is why the Netherlands ranks above most other EU nations for
availability of prime, affordable office space.
With this high availability also comes greater flexibility in terms of negotiating lease terms, contract length and more. From high-rise and historic reconstruction in center city and urban environments to business parks and complexes in more suburban environments, the Netherlands offers you many location choices.
In addition, the Netherlands has fully furnished and equipped business support centers available for rent, enabling new companies to hit the ground running with minimal start-up costs. Office space in these centers may be rented by the hour, day, month, year or longer.
- The Possibility of Buying Land and Industrial and Commercial Buildings
- Risk of Expropriation
- Expropriation would only take place in case of public interest and with adequate compensation. Up until now there have ben no expropriations recorded.
- Forms of Aid
- Concerning new businesses and investment incentives, investors can contact the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA) and the Netherlands Foreign Trade Agency.
- Privileged Domains
Zones that are attractive to invest are the computer software, computer industries, chemicals, security equipment, medical equipment and pollution control (equipment) among others.
Laws and regulations that affect FDI apply equally to foreign and domestic companies.
- Privileged Geographical Zones
- Randstad area is the most interesting to invest in due to its location (near Schiphol Airport and the Rotterdam Port)
- Free Zones
- Organizations Which Finance
- The Dutch national bank and the European bank loan at favorable rates.
- The Key Sectors of the National Economy
- Agroindustries, metal and engineering products, electrical machinery and equipment, chemicals, petroleum, construction, microelectronics and fishing.
- High Potential Sectors
- Computer software, computer services, automotive parts and accessories, seaport & airport security equipment and systems, transport and distribution services, aircraft parts and associated equipment, medical equipment and supplies and pollution control equipment.
- Privatization Programs
- The energy and post market are in the process of privatization.
- Tenders, Projects and Public Procurement
EBP, Tenders and Projects in Netherlands
Tenders Info, Tenders in Netherlands
Ted - Tenders Electronic daily, Business opportunities in EU 27
DgMarket, Tenders Worldwide
Sectors Where Investment Opportunities Are Fewer
- Monopolistic Sectors
- Gambling industry
- Sectors in Decline
- Agriculture and fishery
Finding Assistance For Further Information
- Investment Aid Agency
Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency
Netherlands Foreign Trade Agency
- Other Useful Resources
Dutch Ministry of Economy
- Doing Business Guides
Deloitte's Netherlands, International Tax and Business Guide
Netherlands Commercial Guide 2010 - Buy USA
Expatax Guide to Doing Business in the Netherlands
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Investment Opportunities in the Netherlands!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Dutch companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: