Employees in the Netherlands
- Opening Hours
- Legal Weekly Duration
- 37 hours
- Maximum Duration
- Officially 45 hours. Occasionally, overtime, with a maximum shift duration of 11 hours, a maximum working week of 54 hours and a maximum of 585 hours worked per 13 weeks.
The Ministry for Social Affairs and Employment passed a decree in late 2005 stating that employees also performing on-call shifts may choose to opt out of existing rules and work up to 60 hours a week. The hours worked per week are then averaged over a 26-week period, rather than the 13 weeks at present.
- Night Hours
- Between midnight and 6 am.
- Working Rest Day
- Sunday, unless the worker has expressly agreed to work. If work is conducted on Sundays, the worker must be given at least four Sundays off in any 13-week period.
- Paid Annual Vacation
- The minimum is four times the average number of days worked per week. If, for example, an employee works five days per week, the minimum right is 20 days holiday. A collective agreement can increase the minimum, normally to 25 days, depending on the sector. Legally mandated paid leave of one to four days is given for personal events (marriage, death in the family, family obligations or moving house). Extended leave is also possible for certain personal circumstances.
- Retirement Age
- 67 years
- Child Labor and Minimum Age For Employment
- 16 years
- Informal Labor Market
- The market is fairly developed, there is no official estimate available.
The Cost of Labor
- Minimum Wage
- EUR 1,300.80 per month in January 2007. The wage is regularly adjusted.
- Average Wage
- Annual average was EUR 27,800 in 2005.
- Other Forms of Pay
- Pay For Overtime
- Overtime in most industries receives a 25% premium for the first two hours, 50% for subsequent hours, 75% for Saturdays and 100% for Sundays and holidays.
- Pay For Rest Days Worked
- Around the 50% in most industries.
- Pay For Night Hours
- Night-shift workers are entitled to a 10–15% premium.
- Pay For Overtime at Night
- Overtime in night duty is allowed, but then a shift may not last more than nine hours. The maximum number of nights worked may not exceed ten over a four-week period.
Social Security Costs
- The Areas Covered
- Medical insurance 12.25%, pension insurance 17.9%, unemployment insurance 0.65%
Contributions Paid By the Employer: 15.90 %.
Contributions Paid By the Employee: 6.45 %.
- Competent Organization
Social Insurance Agency
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Employees in the Netherlands!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Dutch companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: