Reaching the Consumer in the Netherlands
- Growing Sectors
- Household consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, traveling, sportswear, clothing and footwear. The babyboom generation will soon retire and as such sectors that provide services for this generation are rapidly growing. The agricultural sector is declining slightly.
- Consumer Behavior
- Dutch consumers tend to value quality to a high degree, they are willing to buy something when they see that the price relates to the quality. They usually do not favor Dutch products over their foreign counterparts. Dutch consumers are sensitive for advertisements and a good advertisement campaign is bound to a big effect on the sales.
- Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
- The Dutch consumer has a lot of money to spend but will not spend it easily. By nature they tend to resist change and this also means that they prefer products that they already know over new products. Recently there has been a lot of publicity about the environment which has increased the willingness of Dutch consumers to buy environmental-friendly products.
- Consumer Recourse to Credit
- Dutch consumers will favor a product with a consumer credit over a similar product without a consumer credit.
- Consumers Associations
Media in Which to Advertise
Has a huge impact
but is very costly.
Reach a lot of
customers, probably form the best alternative if you want to reach a specific
target group. The cost of advertisements has decreased because of the
competition of the free newspapers (Metro, Sp!ts and Dag).
and the least appreciated form of advertisement and very ineffective. But you
can reach almost everyone by email because of the high percentage of the
population that uses internet.
- In Transportation Venues
Used a lot in
public transportation and in the form of flyers that are put on walls. Only
effective for regional promotions and events.
CBS Outdoor (in Dutch)
A very useful
medium for advertising because a lot of people listen to the radio during their
stay and work and also in the car.
Europe's largest TV, radio and production company
- New Technologies (E-Marketing, SMS, etc.)
Internet and text
messages are becoming increasingly more popular.
- Main Advertising Agencies
Main Principles of Advertising Regulations
- Possible if the viewing audience is at least 75% older than 16. A statement against alcohol usage at young age should be included.
- Is not allowed.
- Allowed on approved drugs.
- Other Rules
- You can consult the Dutch code of advertising.
- Use of Foreign Languages in Advertisement
- Television advertisements usually have subtitles when they are in another language. In general the use of a foreign language does not lead to any problems.
- Organizations Regulating Advertising
Stichting Reclame Code
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Reaching the Consumer in the Netherlands!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Dutch companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: