Political Conditions in Norway
- Type of State
- A constitutional monarchy based on parliamentary democracy.
- Executive Power
- The constitution grants executive powers to the King (the head of state), but these are exercised by the cabinet. King serves a ceremonial role with some reserve powers. After elections the majority leader is usually appointed Prime minister (the head of the cabinet) by the monarch with the approval of the parliament.
- Legislative Power
- A modified unicameral parliament or Storting. For certain purposes the parliament divides itself into two chambers called Lagting and Odelsting, but the practice will be abolished after the general elections in 2009 making Storting fully unicameral. Members are elected for four-year terms according to a system of proportional representation.
- Main Political Parties
- DNA (Norwegian Labour Party) - Social democrats
- FrP (Progress Party) – Libertarian right-wing party
- Høyre (Conservative Party) - Conservatives
- Venstre (Liberal Party) – Social liberals
- KrF (Christian Democratic Party)
- SV(Socialist Left Party) - Socialists.
- SP (Centre Party) - Centrist and agrarian party.
Labour Party, Socialist Left and the Centre Party form the current cabinet. Coalition governments of several parties are typical in Norway.
- Current Political Leaders
King: HARALD V (since January 1991) - hereditary
Prime Minister: Jens STOLTENBERG (since October 2005) – DNA
- Next Election Dates
- Parliamentary: September 2013
Indicator of Freedom of the Press
- World Rank:
- 1 place down compared to 2008
Indicator of Political Freedom
- Political Freedom:
- Civil Liberties:
Any Comments About This Content? Report It to Us.
No content has been posted to this folder yet.
Be the first to feature your expertise related to Political Conditions in Norway!
- Post any content you may have that features your expertise, such as a text article with business tips, presentation, market report, etc
- By sharing your knowledge you gain more visibility for your profile not only on GlobalTrade.net but across the web
Post your content now by simply clicking on the button below.
Check these folders already populated with content posted by other users:
Click here to find out more about key benefits and instructions for contributing to the site.
Find the related Norvegian companies with Kompass:
Post any content you may have that features your expertise and offers valuable information to the international trade community.
The more informative content you post the more visible your will be, as your valuable content will link directly to your profile.
Check these sample pages for illustration: